"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO-Lentil recipes

I am new to lentils. All the recipes I find are Indian or Mediterranean flavors. I don't normally have those spices on hand and don't want to spend the money to buy them if DH doesn't like the dish. Does anyone have some recipes that are not curries or stews? I'd like to make some for side dishes. Can they be substituted for beans in recipes?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't eat lentils, but the website The Kitchn seems obsessed with them Here's one set of recipes from them; there are more.

Soul-Satisfying: A Roundup of Great Lentil Recipes | The Kitchn

Old 01-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ISO-Lentil recipes

I made lentil soup, using them like split peas. Turned out pretty good! Chopped vegetables, chicken broth, seasonings. You could throw in a ham bone if you like.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Master Chef

I have used them for soup and also as a substitute for ground beef, sort of like TVP. I really should have another go at them. If you are feeding skeptics try adding lentils in place of half the ground beef, sausage or ground turkey in some of your favorite recipes. Having them in foods that are familiar to your family may make it easier to sell them on lentils.

Cook the lentils in plenty of lightly salted barely simmering water for 15-20 minutes or until they are tender, not falling apart, drain them and add them to your cooked meat crumbles. Try them in things like tomato based meat sauce, lasagna, sloppy joes, tacos, chili, etc...

I have to admit I'm not wild about them, like many new foods they sort of grow on you.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I am new to lentils. All the recipes I find are Indian or Mediterranean flavors. I don't normally have those spices on hand and don't want to spend the money to buy them if DH doesn't like the dish. Does anyone have some recipes that are not curries or stews? I'd like to make some for side dishes. Can they be substituted for beans in recipes?
Which sort of lentils? If you mean the red/orange ones/Egyptian lentils this is rather good. Not sure about the spelling as it was given to me by word of mouth.

KOSHRI
Ingredients:
Rice and Lentils
2 tablespoons oil 1 1/4 cups red lentils 3 cups boiling water (or stock)

1 teaspoon salt1 pinch pepper1 1/2 cups rice1 cup boiling water/stock

Sauce

3/4 cup tomato paste3 cups tomato juice (or tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes)
1 green pepper, chopped 1/2 cup celery leaves, chopped 1 tblspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or crushed chilis to taste)

Fried onions

2 tablespoons oil 3 onions, sliced 4 garlic cloves, crushed
Method
Heat all the sauce ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.
In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, brown lentils in 2 Tbsp oil, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the 3 cups boiling stock and the salt and pepper. Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in the rice and 1 cup stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer 25 minutes
For onions, heat oil in a small skillet. Saute onions & chopped garlic over medium heat.
To serve, put rice lentil mixture on a platter, pour tomato sauce over and top with browned onions and offer plain yoghourt on the side. (Greek or strained yoghourt seems to work best.)
Old 01-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Master Chef

Lentils can be used in place of yellow split peas. They have a similar flavor, but don't disintegrate while cooking. They are very tender, but require some seasoning, such as S&P. They can be added to brothy soups, or cooked with ham, or pork. I've also added them to chicken soup with some good results.

They are a good addition to chili, and can even be served up as a side dish, like black-eyed peas.

Seasonings don't need to be exotic blends. Salt, pepper, ground cumin, Coriander, all readily available and useful in so many recipes, are found in every supermarket.

A dish that is simple to make is dahl. Here's a recipe.
A guide to lentils & basic tarka dhal recipe | Jamie Oliver | Features

Though I have it in my pantry, I would omit the Garahm Masala from the recipe. The rest is just plain tasty.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #7
Master Chef

Jabbur, I am in the same boat. I recently bought a bag of lentils and used recipe on the bag. Everybody loved it. It was very simple to make too.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Head Chef

I have a ' bean sprouter' to make bean sprouts (obviously). Most time time I actually just use lentils ( the brown ones, about $1 a bag). I just throw about 1 Tbs of lentils in each level. Water as directed. and after 3 or 4 days got myself a bunch of Lentil sprouts to snack on or toss in a salad.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
Master Chef

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I plan on using some tonight in my spaghetti sauce. I guess I'll do some experimenting as well. I've made a stew before that went over well. Since it's not something I'm used to using, I was googling recipes to get a handle on it and I know the Indian flavor profile is not one DH cares for.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
Master Chef

GG, I honed in on this recipe you left from that link. Bacon was naturally the word that got my attention, and after reading the delightful story, I'm inspired. How I would love to eat at Chez Navarre! Guess I'm going to have to buy some lentils!
Jabbur, this one looks like a winner to me.

Recipe: Warm French Lentil Salad with Bacon & Herbs — Healthy Lunch Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

ISO-Lentil recipes I am new to lentils. All the recipes I find are Indian or Mediterranean flavors. I don't normally have those spices on hand and don't want to spend the money to buy them if DH doesn't like the dish. Does anyone have some recipes that are not curries or stews? I'd like to make some for side dishes. Can they be substituted for beans in recipes? 3 stars 1 reviews