"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Master Chef

I've never cooked lentils either, and I have a sack that's been in the pantry for 3 or 4 years. I appreciate the advice here...and I vow to cook them soon!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I've never cooked lentils either, and I have a sack that's been in the pantry for 3 or 4 years. I appreciate the advice here...and I vow to cook them soon!
Lentils are really fabulous! I make a wonderful Vegetable Lentil Nut Loaf that is so tasty, even my meat loving husband likes it!

Another thing I love to do with them is make lentil salads, served over greens or brown rice.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Lentils are one of those things that I always vow to eat more of but never do. Here's a good soup recipe :
Cook onion,garlic and bacon in olive oil until brown, add carrot,parsnip and celery and cook for 5 min, stir in lentils (rinsed).vegetable stock,tomato paste and water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30min. Stir in risoni(or rice) and more water - stir for 10 min. Add spring onion,parsley and lemon rind and season to taste. Serve with grated parmesan. Was too lazy to type in measurements but let me know if anyone wants it.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Senior Cook

thanks guys for the ideas. If I just boil the lentils how long should I do it?
And I have some ham broth...that would work too right?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I always hear that lentils take about 20 minutes - for some reason mine always take longer. Start testing them after 20 minutes and see what happens. Ham broth will be perfect!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Yup, 20 minutes should be good!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
Senior Cook

cool...I will try it out in the next day or so... we have work tonight and tomorrow...and that mean driving.. I generally pack sandwiches. Friday I'll make some lentil soup... Right now the only meat I have to put with it is Italian sausage, or else a couple pork chops...
I'm thawing the sausage. I have a bunch to use up. Maybe I'll brown it and then cut it into the soup. Got some carrots...some onion, garlic and I'll do a few other seasonings.
It'll be good.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
I started cooking lentil soup last year. I normally cook up a pot of 15-bean soup. I dice up carrots, celery, & onions and cook those in the microwave for a few min. till done or almost done. I sometimes add diced, cooked potatoes too. Then I pour them into my bean pot and mix up. I add about 3 or more cloves of minced garlic. I add diced, cooked ham. I add Paula Deen's House Seasoning. Whenever I don't have ham, I add leftover, cut-up beef or pork roasts.

Paula's House Seasoning: 1/4 c. black pepper, 1/4 c. garlic powder, & 1 c. salt. Mix together and put into a shaker.

I'm allergic to tomatoes which bothers my sinuses. So, I cook a lot without them. I can eat them but in moderation.

Whenever I cook fresh or frozen veggies, I like cooking them in the Glad microwaveable veggie bags. Those things are really neat! It sure beats cooking them in my microwaveble steamer with water in the bottom of it.

I'm not too good with using herbs. So, I'm still experimenting a little with those to find out what I like & don't like in my soups & etc. food.

Darlene
Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #19
Head Chef

try a mess of lentils with some good !!! polish smoked sausage onions garlic and some strong chicken stock S&P and a few drops of Lea and Perrins out of theis world yummy
Old 02-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #20
Cook

I make a Turkish style soup.

Basically saute some onions, add a chopped up potato and a carrot, add some garlic, add some tomato paste and then add the lentils. Add chicken stock (or water and a chicken stock cube) and let it all cook. Add some pepper, salt, cuming, red chilli flakes and some dried mint. Then blend it till smooth once it is cooked. Then melt some butter and add some mint to the butter (about 2 tbsp) and let it cook. Drizzle this into the pot and mix up. Dried mint goes wonderfully with this soup.

BTW this is for red lentils. You can also add a handful of burghul to the pot too or evil rice.

Tags
None