ISO "memorable" baked beans recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to bring baked beans to a party and don't like baked beans because they are always too sweet and bland. Does anyone have a recipe for baked beans that is not very sweet and has a kick to it?
Thanks!

39817-albums960-picture5522.jpg
If you find this hard to read, hold down on Ctlr and scroll with your mouse wheel to magnify

Last edited:
I've always had nothing but positive responses when I prepare Baked Beans Quintet. Surprisingly, they are made up of all canned beans of 5 types. They aren't as sweet as most and you'd never in a million years expect them to taste so good. I always use the thickest, smokiest bacon I can find when I make them.

They'd be a good foundation to build on and, even if you don't tinker with them, they stand as a winner on their own.

This is a recipe for bland not to sweet baked beans that always appeared at family picnics when I was growing up.

A spoon of Pantry Chili Sauce wakes them up a little but, I prefer them plain.

The leftovers make great sandwiches!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/pantry-chili-sauce-79610.html

Lillian Bigsby’s Home Baked Beans

2 lbs. Great northern beans or small white beans
1 cup granulated white sugar
½ pound salt pork or bacon
1 ½ t salt
¼ t black pepper
½ t baking soda

Soak beans overnight in water. Drain beans, cover with fresh water, add baking soda and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes with baking soda and drain. Add fresh water to cover the beans by approx. 1 inch and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly until the beans are mushy and begin to break down, approx. 1 ½ -2 hours. Lillian Bigsby said give them a stir and if you think they are done let them cook another ½ hour! (You may add additional water while cooking but, try to resist it.) Stir in sugar, salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish and nestle the chunk of salt pork into the beans. Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 2 to 3 hours, until most of the liquid is absorbed. The exact timing on these baked beans is difficult. I have had them come out of the oven perfectly after 1 ½ hours and I have had to bake them the full 3 hours.

This is a recipe I have used with great success - not too sweet, but with a noticeable kick and great flavor depth. Note that while there is some molasses in this, it's not a lot AND it's an important part of the flavor profile. This is a do ahead recipe and will be better the next day.

Spicy Red-Eye Cowboy Baked Beans

Note that I've reduced the molasses just a little for a more savory (less sweet flavor). Remember not to salt your beans until after they've finished cooking (makes em tough)

1 lb. dried pinto beans
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs. ancho chile powder
1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
Freshly ground black pepper
6 cups lower-salt beef broth
1 meaty smoked ham hock
1 cup brewed coffee
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup ketchup
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 sprigs fresh oregano
1 Tbs. bourbon (optional)
salt - to taste after cooking has ended.

Last edited:
"Memorable"? :huh:
Interesting choice of words, Jules :LOL:

A lot of people like a little sweet to their beans. The trick is to balance it out so they aren't just sweet. BBQ sauce (spicy), powdered mustard, jalapenos, starting with a good smoky bacon or salt pork... all those things will help balance out the molasses, pineapple or whatever you are using that makes them too sweet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom