"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Polenta Advice

I'm in the mood to learn and try some different things. Especially after hearing some of you talk about them a lot "lol".
I don't think I'll do this today, but I bought a block of instant polenta from Bellino.

On the back it says instructions basically boil water, gradually pour in polenta and stir for 3 minutes.

Than there is a recipe that says pour polenta into pan, cover with pasta sauce and parmesan cheese and bake in oven for 20 minutes on 350.

Does that mean I first follow the instructions part first before I follow the recipe on the back? I'm confused about that.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You got it right. first make the polenta by pouring the ground corn into the water and stirring then, when it's done pour the mixture into a baking dish and add the sauce.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

One hint for the future. Don't buy those blocks that are labled polenta. Get a container of cornmeal. The only difference is the name. When they call it polenta they can charge a heck of a lot more than if they just called it cornmeal. It is the exact same stuff though.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Legend,
when I do polenta, instead of water I use chicken broth. Polenta by itself is rather bland but cooking in the broth perks it up. Adding a a good size piece of butter and a nice sauce over the top when done and fresh grated parmesan cheese, makes it outstanding.

kadesma
Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Master Chef

For some reason I've never been able to warm up to polenta with tomato-based sauces.

When I make it, I either cool it overnight, cut into squares, & saute in an obscene amount of butter for breakfast; or cool, cut into squares/portions, & top with mushrooms sauteed in butter & wine. I also enjoyed it in a local restaurant topped with a duck & rabbit ragout, which was out of this world.

I just, for whatever reason, don't enjoy it with tomatoes.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I like to serve polenta as a side dish instead of potatoes or pasta. When I cook it, sometimes I'll add a little salt and minced garlic. Then, slice it and brown it up nice and serve it with a little grated Parmesan. Great with a steak.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Polenta...never made it. This will give me the reason to try. Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I can never seem to find "instant polenta" at the store

at the moment I have this bag of cornmeal that is less fine then the regular stuff b/c I hear that that is the stuff to use. is it quicker/possible to make it with the finer ground stuff?

also, isn't there a way of just popping it in the oven with water (in a pan covered) and letting it cook itself?

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
I can never seem to find "instant polenta" at the store

at the moment I have this bag of cornmeal that is less fine then the regular stuff b/c I hear that that is the stuff to use. is it quicker/possible to make it with the finer ground stuff?

also, isn't there a way of just popping it in the oven with water (in a pan covered) and letting it cook itself?
SurvivorGirl,
yes, you can do your polenta in the oven..I do that each time as I make quite a lot and have other things I need to tend to, so this frees me up to get other things done.Standing there stirring and stirring will not make it taste any better than right from the oven..
1-c. polenta
3-1/4c. warm chix stock or warm water
1-2 tea. salt
1-2-Tab. butter
Preheat oven to 3350 place all ingredients into oven proof bowl you've buttered Stir with fork til blended. Cake uncovered 50 min or so. Run fork through and bake 10 min more.
Great with butter and parmesan chesse on top or your favorite sauce..Gorgonzola can be added to polenta before serving for a different taste...
This should serve 6

kadesma
Old 05-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
SurvivorGirl,
yes, you can do your polenta in the oven..I do that each time as I make quite a lot and have other things I need to tend to, so this frees me up to get other things done.Standing there stirring and stirring will not make it taste any better than right from the oven..
1-c. polenta
3-1/4c. warm chix stock or warm water
1-2 tea. salt
1-2-Tab. butter
Preheat oven to 3350 place all ingredients into oven proof bowl you've buttered Stir with fork til blended. Cake uncovered 50 min or so. Run fork through and bake 10 min more.
Great with butter and parmesan chesse on top or your favorite sauce..Gorgonzola can be added to polenta before serving for a different taste...
This should serve 6

kadesma
Thx!!
I now know what to put in "what's for dinner thread"
it sound delish!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None