"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO (Red) Potato Ideas

I would like some ideas on what to do with red potatoes this week. What do I usually do? I actually love olive oil and lipton onion soup mix all mixed in with the potatoes and than baked. I have also just used olive oil and spices and baked them. I have boiled them and sort of turned them into a lumpy "but good" mashed potatoe mix with milk, garlic ect.

I would like to hear some other ideas that I could ponder.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Master Chef

Boil them until just tender, drain, and put back in hot pan with olive oil and a little butter. Brown them, season with salt, pepper and parsley.

Or use them for French potato Salad, with green beans and a vinaigrette dressing.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Red potato salad New Red Potato Salad - Allrecipes
Old 04-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Oven roasted.Yummy!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Peel and cover with water. Season with salt and black pepper. Cover and simmer until done. Dissolve flour in milk and add to the potatoes to create a medium thick sauce. Adjust seasonings, especially the black pepper. Served with hot, buttered cornbread this is a delicacy at my house when using "new" red potatoes.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Paula Deen cooks them with fresh green beans that she has sauted a little with bacon and onion first to make sure her beans will be done.. Never have made it but want to, sounds so good. Love my taters !
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

My family likes when I take small red potaotes, fingerlings or baby yukons, cut in half or leave whole if tiny..Use heavy duty foil and make a packet of the potatoes, thin sliced red onion, minced garlic,evoo,butter chopped Italian fresh parsley salt and black pepper. I par boil the potatoes til partially cooked then drain and rinse cut in four or slice thin, I use about 4 sheets of foil all together or you can make individual packets using 4 smaller sheets. Put on some potatoes, and then drizzle on the evoo,butter or just add a dab of butter, salt,pepper,parsley, onion, garlic, fold to make a packet and put into a 350 oven on a baking sheet for about 20 min. You can also do this on your grill, large packets take about 35 min..We sometimes add alredy cooked baby artichokes or celery, zucchini..all taste great this way.

kadesma
Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
Paula Deen cooks them with fresh green beans that she has sauted a little with bacon and onion first to make sure her beans will be done.. Never have made it but want to, sounds so good. Love my taters !
Miss Barb..

Cooking "new" red potatoes or quartered larger ones with green beans, bacon etc is as Southern as it gets! And good! I have this bad habit of adding a "toe" or two or three of garlic also. Ya gotta try them!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I love to grill them outside this time of year. You can parboil them (or not) for a few minutes and toss with some EVOO and spices and grill on skewers or grill wok. They taste great alone, dipped in BBQ or divine tossed in a green salad.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I like to steam them until fork tender, then pour melted butter over, salt, pepper and a goodly sprinkling of chopped fresh chives. Yum, yum, yummy!

Tags
None