"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
If you're in the Boston area, you should be able to find Anson Mills grits at Formaggio in Cambridge. You might want to call first to be sure they're in stock.
That is a good hour drive each way for me. In the summer I could do that, but in the winter I tend not to go into the city unless I absolutely have to. Thanks for that info though. I will have to check them out when it warms up a bit.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
GB ---- At the very least for day to day use I would switch to Quick Grits.
For the Shrimp and Grits dish - I personally would take up KitchenElf on the Stone Ground Grits and her recipe.

Oh actually that is what I use at home. I did not know there was a difference between instant and quick. I just learned something new today.

So can shrimp and grits be reasonable made with quick? Don't worry, I will still take KE up on her generous offer

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That is a good hour drive each way for me. In the summer I could do that, but in the winter I tend not to go into the city unless I absolutely have to. Thanks for that info though. I will have to check them out when it warms up a bit.
LOL, I don't blame you. My son and daughter live in the area (Somerville and Watertown) and I'm going up for a visit next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing them but dread the thought of dealing with the winter weather. My Costa Rican wife will suffer even more than me. She's never even seen snow before. Unfortunately, neither of us have any decent winter clothes but the kids should have plenty to loan to us.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Oh actually that is what I use at home. I did not know there was a difference between instant and quick. I just learned something new today.

So can shrimp and grits be reasonable made with quick? Don't worry, I will still take KE up on her generous offer
Yes the Quick grits can be used for KE's recipe...Quick grits are not "Instant" Grits. Quick grits are Hominy Grits. Instant doubles as wall paper paste I think The Stone Ground would be worth the wait from KE if you can't find them locally. Anson Mills Stone Ground are considered by many to be the Rolls Royce of Stone ground grits....I have to agree. Had a big bowl of them Saturday morning with Red-Eye gravy! Yum!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Thank you all (or should that be Thanks Yall)! You will make a Southerner out of me yet.

Tags
None