ISO Simple Sauce for Gnocchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit for a Pesto gnocchi I would think about a rich vegetable/mushroom broth.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up heating some evoo and butter in a pan with a smashed garlic clove. I toasted some pine nuts and then combines the gnocchi and pine nuts with the fat and tossed to coat. It turned out really well. It was simple, quick, cheap, and delicious.

Question - doesn't everyone pan-fry their gnocchi once done? I thought it was fairly standard practice. :huh:

It's not absolutely necessary...you could simply toss them in a bowl with the sauce of choice..
I like to put them into the sauce pan so some of the sauce can be absorbed into the gnocchi as well as simply coating them.

It's not absolutely necessary...you could simply toss them in a bowl with the sauce of choice..
I like to put them into the sauce pan so some of the sauce can be absorbed into the gnocchi as well as simply coating them.

I do it for that little brown spot on each side of the gnocchi - now THAT'S good eats! So I guess I put mine in a pan FIRST, then sauce them.

Question - doesn't everyone pan-fry their gnocchi once done? I thought it was fairly standard practice. :huh:

Maybe I'm having a brain hiccup, but thought your original question asked - doesn't everyone pan-fry their gnocchi :huh:. I can't speak for everyone, but I usually boil my gnocchi, & either sauce it, or bake with a (i.e. mushroom cheese) sauce. (Shared a recipe here awhile back.) Posted the link for pan-fried gnocchi, as I've never seen them prepared in the pan w/o boiling first.

Glad the recipe turned out, GB. Sounds delish.

Cook in water first - then pan fry to get that nice browning on them. I guess the "once done" is the important part of that sentence.

I don't pan fry my gnocchi either. And I usually whip up an easy cheesy sauce. I melt some cream cheese and add a bunch of stuff to it. Garlic, more cream, whatever white cheeses we have in the house and that is what we serve with the gnocchi. Since we have different preferences in the house, the gnocchi and sauces are served separately and everyone does what they like best. I have one who likes tomato, one who likes the cream, one who mixes them and one who takes them naked with just butter salt and parmesan. LOL.

I've never heard of pan-frying gnocchi, but it sure sounds good :) I love browning/caramelization in any form. :chef:

Yep, after they are cooked and drained give them a fry in some olive oil, or butter - not much because you don't really want to saute them - but brown them a bit on the sides. Once you do it you'll know why I do it! :LOL:

Yep, after they are cooked and drained give them a fry in some olive oil, or butter - not much because you don't really want to saute them - but brown them a bit on the sides. Once you do it you'll know why I do it! :LOL:

I don't post here much anymore, but still read a lot and this is one of those "a-ha!" kind of moments and had to say thanks to all in this thread for some really great ideas.

There's always the sage and brown butter with garlic/salt/pepper/a few pepper flakes.
But this is more fun, ok, so it's not simple:ermm:
Veal Sauce for Potato Gnocchi
Sauce:
1 ½ T olive oil
1 ½ T butter
1 lb ground veal or if no veal, you can use ground beef
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 very small onion, minced
1 small carrot finely chopped
1 medium sized portabella mushroom cap, chopped very fine, remove scales from underneath/scrape out/off
1 15 oz can good quality crushed tomatoes with juice, you’ll break them up
1 T tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1-1/2 cups beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste
½ T dried parsley
Heat oil and butter in a heavy cast iron [if you have it] skillet. Add veal or beef/garlic/onion/carrot/mushroom and cook until pink is gone. Break up the meat to fine pieces. Add tomatoes and juice/wine/broth/tomato paste/parsley. Bring to a boil then turn down to medium low and cook about an hour longer. Add salt and pepper and, taste for seasoning and let reduce to semi thicken the sauce. This is supposed to be a loose sauce, not real thick. Toss with your gnocchi and lots of parm cheese.

Back
Top Bottom