ISO Simple Sauce for Gnocchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have some frozen gnocchi that I believe is made with pesto. I am looking for a very quick and easy sauce to make for them. What say you DC?

Last edited:
Thank you both. pacanis I must have been in the woodshed the day that other thread was posted ;)

I was thinking of a butter sage sauce, but kind of wanted to try something else. I think I may just end up doing that though.

Since they are already made with pesto I would probable

keep it to simple garlic, olive oil a little cheese and a few torn fresh basil leaves is you have some.

If you like the flavour of gorgonzola, I can suggest 2 lovely possibilities.

(Note that I can't eat gorgonzola raw by itself, but in a sauce I adore the flavour... I just discovered that a few years ago. Even if you feel revolted at the sight of a raw bleu cheese, it may well be worth a try...;) )

1. gorgonzola and bacon and walnuts

lightly toast the walnuts and crush them. Melt the gorgonzola in a double boiler, add some cream to make it into your prefered consistency and until the mixture gets smooth and thoroughly heated but not boiling. Mix in the walnuts and crispy, crumbled bacon (real bacon, please don't use bac-Os).

2. Quattro formaggi (4 cheese sauce)
I usually use the mixture of taleggio, fontina(or toma or bitto if we have some), gorgonzola and edam or gouda (or gruyere if we have some), but basically you can try any combination of cheeses that melts well.
cut them in small cubes and melt in double boiler, smooth them out with some cream. Add a dash of pepper to taste.

If you can't stand gorgonzola, here is another option...

Sautè sliced mushrooms (porcini is the best but if not, oyster or regular champignone, you can also add a little pieces of dried porcini - soaked first-, for a flavour kick) with chopped shallot, cubed good quality ham and crushed garlic, add it to a bechamelle sauce. Serve with grated parmigiano or grana padano cheese.

Buon appetito!!:chef:

Thanks Charlie. I feel the same way about Gorgonzola as you do. That one sounds really interesting.

Worked in a restaurant where Chef made a nice gnocchi with fresh summer veggies and a light broth. Bet it would be good with pesto gnocchi. It had fava beans, tomatoes, broccoli rabe, and black trumpet mushrooms, and was topped with a shaved hard jack cheese. It was my fave to order on the sly during service!

GB - since your product already is pesto-flavored I'm all for the basic olive oil, garlic, cheese, pine nuts sauce/idea.

I have trouble with red sauces on gnocchi, don't ask me why, but I do. I usually go the alfredo route or a demi-glace/beef broth, shallot route.

I can not do red sauces with gnocchi either KE.

I like the idea of oil cheese and pine nuts. I think that is probably what I will do. MMM getting hungry now.

I have some frozen gnocchi that I believe is made with pesto. I am looking for a very quick and easy sauce to make for them. What say you DC?

I've never had gnocchi made w pesto. Sounds delish. Can you share the brand name? Would love to give it a try.

Since the pesto is already in the mix, I would go with melted butter, garlic & fresh Parmesan cheese. Or, bechamel sauce with a touch of nutmeg. Or, add in spinach sauteed in olive oil, butter, & garlic. In a separate skillet, toast pine nuts or walnuts & add it to any of the above.

GG already said mine, I just chop up fresh sage, throw it in some butter and toss.

amy I don't know the brand name, but it was from Trader Joe's. They are frozen and in a bag with green writing if my memory is intact.

I'm glad you started this thread. I have never tried gnocci and just purchased some the other day. I got a spicy vodka sauce for on them, but it seems a bit much on something that seems so delicate. I would prefer something lighter than a tomato base sauce.

I know you said you didn't want tomato sauce, and you wanted something quick, but they arereally great in a tomato cream sauce with some lobster. :LOL: Otherwise, I'm in the sage, butter category. :)

Since the gnocchi is already flavoured with pesto, I'd sauté some mushrooms with garlic in a fair amount of butter and olive oil. When the gnocchi are finished cooking, toss them into the butter, add a pinch of fresh nutmeg, black pepper and grated parmegiano. A splash of brandy wouldn't be unheard off, at the very end, either....

Back
Top Bottom