ISO Southern style mac and cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
I had some southern style mac and cheese from goodwood BBQ restaurant. It was thick and tasty. Would like to know how to make a good southern style mac and cheese

Thick and creamy? Hmmm. Never really heard of southern-style mac and cheese and I live in an area that calls itself the south.

However, one of my versions of mac and cheese includes a portion of cubed Velveeta and cream cheese melted with the rest of the ingredients. I don't have a recipe per se, but just dump this and that.

I do several things with Mac & Cheese. I add ham or bacon, or sarted bell pepper and onion. Regardless of what I do I start with a butter and flour roux, add cream and milk, and Velvetta, American and a little Cheddar cheeses, salt and pepper, until it is the consistency and flavor I like. Stir in cooked, drained elbow macaroni and pour in a greased baking 8x10 or 9x12 pan. I grate or crush toasted croutons on the top. Bake 350 until the top bubbles and starts to brown. 25-30 minutes. Maybe longer, maybe less. I usually start checking it about 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom