ISO Stuffing Help/Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yesterday, i used a store brand mix. way to much salt and seasoning. had a bitter taste. won't buy that again. i use stove-top very rarely. again to salty for me. i was very disappointed in the mix i used. :blink:

Babe, check and see if the store has Mrs. Cubbison's Herbed Stuffing. I think it's perfect salt-wise and I don't use a lot of salt.

Avast you heathens by the very name "stuffing" from the greek word stuffinopoulis which means to bury in a dark place, how can you call your concoctions stuffing if you dont stuff with them.
Packet stuffing was invented in Eccles in 1901 by a Greek called Paxos Paxinopolous he named it Paxo which is still the favorite stuffing mix of the nation.

Avast you heathens by the very name "stuffing" from the greek word stuffinopoulis which means to bury in a dark place, how can you call your concoctions stuffing if you dont stuff with them.
Packet stuffing was invented in Eccles in 1901 by a Greek called Paxos Paxinopolous he named it Paxo which is still the favorite stuffing mix of the nation.

If it's shoved up the bird's arse, it's stuffing. If it's prepared in a pyrex type dish and baked in the oven, it's called dressing.

Rubbish a dressing table will not fit in a pyrex never mind an oven.
Your post Sir is a farse.

not unlike a dresser who might be offended - light in his loafers as it were - by being cooked in either no matter how stylish...

Last edited:
I don't usually measure when I make stuffing/dressing. I most often use store bought bread cubes ( I prefer the ones from the grocery in-store bakery. I add extra poultry seasoning and sage (there is never enough for my taste in those little packets). For liquid, I simmer the turkey giblets and the neck and use the cooking liquid supplemented with Chicken broth or stock. I sauté onion, celery, grated carrot and celery leaves. Mix with bread cubes add salt pepper, thyme, sage, poultry seasoning, chicken stock/broth and about 1/4 C. Butter. I STUFF :). In fact I like the flavor of dressing that has been stuffed, so much that I stuff both ends and I like the fact that some falls out into the pan during roasting as it makes for great gravy drippings! I always make enough dressing to stuff a 20 lb. bird plus extra for an 8x8 casserole dish. ( I always have enough dressing to go with the leftover turkey.

Last edited:
Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
1 8 x 8 inch cornbread
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 links (6 ounces) Italian sausage
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 bay leaf
1½ cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced fennel bulb
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1½ cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare stuffing, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and bay leaf; cook 8 minutes or until onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Add apple, celery, and fennel; cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Cool to room temperature.
Crumble corn bread into a large bowl. Add sausage mixture to bowl; toss to combine. Add broth and 2 eggs; toss to combine. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until top is crisp and golden brown.

This is the one my son, Plague of Locusts requested year after year. I've made it both in and out of the turkey because my insignificant other always claimed she would never eat anything shoved up a turkey's butt. I also make the cornbread from scratch the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and let it dry out.

Wow Sir_Loin! I Usually don't care for cornbread stuffing, but this recipe sounds yummy! I may have to try it this season, especially since my SIL only recognizes cornbread stuffing. Lol! Thanks for the recipe!

Thanksgiving being a holiday of tradition and family, I always make the stuffing recipe on the Bell's Seasoning box because it's the one my mom made and I love it.

It's a basic sage stuffing that can be modified with the addition of sausage or added veggies.

I was just curious if you dry out the bread first when doing the Bell's one?
What kind of bread is good. Just any white bread pretty much?

I buy stuffing bread sold at a local supermarket chain, cut it up and dry it out.

Sometimes I buy day old scali bread.

I usually follow the recipe on the bag of stuffing bread cubes.

1 stick (8 TBSP) Butter
2 - 3 stalks Celery - chopped
1 large Onion - chopped
1 (10 oz) box Fresh Mushrooms - chopped
1/2 cup Walnuts or pecans - chopped
(1 carrot - chopped - Optional)

2.5 cups Chicken or turkey broth/stock
1 (14 oz) bag Herb seasoned stuffing bread cubes (Pepperidge Farms)

Herbs and seasoning to taste:

Ground sea salt
Ground peppercorns
Dry Poultry seasoning
Fresh sage
Fresh thyme
Fresh rosemary
Fresh parsley

Melt butter and sauté everything (but broth/stock and stuffing cubes) till soft.
Add broth/stock and bring to boil; turn heat off.
Add stuffing cubes and mix well.
Serve hot immediately or stuff bird or bake in 350F oven for about 30 minutes (covered for soft stuffing, uncovered for crunchy stuffing).

Last edited:
My stuffing that was our family fav and i still make is

sorry no exact measurements
cut up a 3-4 slices of bacon into pcs., saute with, a large onion diced, 2-3 stalks of celery cut up. cook till bacon is done but not crisp, add to a bowl of bread cubes and enough chix or turkey broth till moist. If using unseason bread add poultry season to taste. stuff bird or place into baking dish dot with butter bake till crisp top.

I make our stuffing with the bagged seasoned bread cubes, apples, dried cranberries, and chopped pecans, along with the usual onions, celery, and other herbage.

I was just wondering if the dressing can be made in advance and the placed in a crock pot to warm on Thanksgiving day? I have to conserve oven space for the bird, and no one likes the dressing cooked in the bird, so I'm thinking this might be a good way to heat the dressing. What do you all think?

Ranchwifeg said:
I make our stuffing with the bagged seasoned bread cubes, apples, dried cranberries, and chopped pecans, along with the usual onions, celery, and other herbage.

I was just wondering if the dressing can be made in advance and the placed in a crock pot to warm on Thanksgiving day? I have to conserve oven space for the bird, and no one likes the dressing cooked in the bird, so I'm thinking this might be a good way to heat the dressing. What do you all think?

Sure. Alternatively, you could nuke it, works great, and you could then keep it warm in the CP if you want.

Last edited:

Sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks, I may do that since we are not having a turkey.

Thanksgiving being a holiday of tradition and family, I always make the stuffing recipe on the Bell's Seasoning box because it's the one my mom made and I love it.

It's a basic sage stuffing that can be modified with the addition of sausage or added veggies.

Curious if you double or triple this? It calls for almost a loaf of bread it seems, yet everything else seems kind of small. I'm guessing the stuffing bread loafs market basket has is 16 slices since when it's sliced into 8 slices there pretty big.

bread stuffing

This classic bread stuffing comes from my friends in Home Ec.

3 loaves of white stuffing bread, cubed and dried on a sheet pan
12 tbsp. unsalted butter
4 ribs finely diced celery
1 finely diced onion
3 tblsp. minced sage
3 tblsp. minced thyme
1 tblsp. minced fresh marjoram
5 cups homemade turkey stock or low soldium chicken stock
(the recipe calls for 4 lightenly beaten eggs - your call - I use one )
salt and pepper to taste

bread stuffing con'd

sorry - I got bumped off the laptop - anyway saute the celery and onion in the butter until they soft - about 5 minutes. Add the herbs, let cool and mix well (with your hands if you can and are willing). Add enough broth to moisten well and bake in a buttered, large casserole pan at 350 for 20 minutes covered with foil. Remove foil and heat for another 30 minutes
a

Got bumped again _ guess my home ec recipe wasn't all that original, though the flavors, spices and techniques are timeless

Bells seasoning is excellent

stuffing is a creation...veg, breadcrumbs, sausage or shellfish, chestnuts pecans, pistachios, rice or wild rice, fruit such as apples and or prunes. sage and thyme are traditional herbs

Back
Top Bottom