"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO the best way to prepare Jasmine Rice

I want the rice to come out fluffy and somewhat dry, and with the tantlyzing flavor that make Jasmine Rice so wonderful.

I had it made by a lady who used a rice cooker. She said the secret was to rinse the rice multiple times, in cold water, to remove as much starch as possible. Her rice came out so good. I need to know how to make this fragrant rice properly. Would steaming it be better than boiling it? If so, how long do you steam it? Any help would be appreciated.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, rinse well until the water runs clear. I don't know off-hand the ratio of water to jasmine rice, it should be on the package. washed rice in the pan, the water, bring to boil cover and turn heat to simmer. Do not lift the lid!!! Again, the time to steam covered, should be on the package.

This will give you nice dry, fluffy rice! Or put a rice cooker on your wishlist!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm one that does not want a rice cooker and my Jasmine Rice comes out wonderful in a pan on top of the stove. Measure out one cup of rice into a sauce pan and run cold water over it. Swish it around with your hand and pour off the water. Do the same 2 or 3 times. Then add 2 cups of fresh cold water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. of oil. Bring it to a boil, cover and immediately turn the fire down to the lowest possible setting. Do not lift the lid for the next 15 minutes. Take the lid off and fluff the rice with a fork....not a spoon, a fork. Put the lid back on the pan and wait at least 5 minutes before serving. Perfect Jasmine Rice every single time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Here are the instructions from the package of jasmine rice I buy (Carolina brand Jasmine Rice). Works for me.

In a saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil. Stir in 1 cup of rice. If desired, add 1 tablespoon tub margarine and 1 teaspoon salt per cup of uncooked rice. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. For drier rice, use 1/4 cup less water. For moister rice, used 1/4 cup more water.

I use butter or oil in place of margarine.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm one that does not want a rice cooker and my Jasmine Rice comes out wonderful in a pan on top of the stove. Measure out one cup of rice into a sauce pan and run cold water over it. Swish it around with your hand and pour off the water. Do the same 2 or 3 times. Then add 2 cups of fresh cold water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. of oil. Bring it to a boil, cover and immediately turn the fire down to the lowest possible setting. Do not lift the lid for the next 15 minutes. Take the lid off and fluff the rice with a fork....not a spoon, a fork. Put the lid back on the pan and wait at least 5 minutes before serving. Perfect Jasmine Rice every single time.
For an electric stove, cover the pan, turn the burner off, and leave on the burner for 20 minutes.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Here are the instructions from the package of jasmine rice I buy (Carolina brand Jasmine Rice). Works for me.

In a saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil. Stir in 1 cup of rice. If desired, add 1 tablespoon tub margarine and 1 teaspoon salt per cup of uncooked rice. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed. For drier rice, use 1/4 cup less water. For moister rice, used 1/4 cup more water.

I use butter or oil in place of margarine.
Forgot to add: I rinse the rice in a strainer under running water until the runoff is clear.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks everyone. It's pretty similar to making long grain rice. And that, I've got down. I simply need to rinse the rice better.

So, shrimp sauteed in butter, garlic, and onion, served up over a bed of jasmine rice. Now, I just need to figure out what veggie I'm going to make with this. Ah, steamed carrots. Yep, that'll make her happy on her birthday. Can't forget DW's birthday dinner, even if it's a day late due to unforseen, and unavoidable circumstances.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

A friend of mine told me to rinse it until the water runs clear and then to soak it in warm water for 20 minutes, rinse again. And then cook according to the package instructions. It turns out perfect every time.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I like to cook the rice in a bit of oil for a few minutes until some of the grains start turning more "white", I don't let it brown, so I keep the heat fairly low. Then add 1 1/2 cups water and a bit of salt, cover and let cook for 15 minutes (lowest setting), take off heat and let stand 5 minutes. I find that 2 cups is too much water, by the time I get all of the water absorbed, the rice is overcooked for my taste.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had good luck following package directions. I figure the manufacturer has test kitchens where they perfect the recipe. They have an interest in presenting their product in the best light.

Tags
rice