ISO Uncle Bob's (and others) advice on Red Beans and Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I've looked at about 6 Red beans and rice recipes, here's what I've come up with. I like it, I add a few drops of Sriracha to it on my plate. Am I missing anything?

28 oz diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed, drained
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 lb kielbasa, cut in slices
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 green pepper, diced
dash or 4 hot sauce
1-2 tb flour (to thicken)
All in the crockpot about 6 hours, served over steamed rice

I've looked at about 6 Red beans and rice recipes, here's what I've come up with. I like it I add a few drops of Sriracha to it on my plate. Am I missing anything? (Emphasis mine)

28 oz diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed, drained
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 lb kielbasa, cut in slices
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 green pepper, diced
dash or 4 hot sauce
1-2 tb flour (to thicken)
All in the crockpot about 6 hours, served over steamed rice

Miss Suzie the main thing I see missing is either a nice french bread or sometimes cornbread! You saying you like it says it all!! Nothing more really needs to be said....:chef:

I personally like to start with a ham bone, simmered to make a base to build on, and I normally don't use tomatoes...other than that which may be peculiar to me I say

Enjoy!!!!

Edit: PS I use the dry beans rather than the canned ones...just a personal preference...

Last edited:
Thank you I appreciate your advice! Just wanted to try to get it close to "authentic" before I go around saying "I love Red Beans and Rice!"....... just as I would be pretty silly running around eating an apple saying "I love oranges!!!!" :)

You are very welcome! If you get a chance to try a left over ham bone with lots of ham left...go for it. Ham hocks would work...not as much meat, but a nice flavor. The sun want quit shining if you use salt pork or bacon in addtion to sausage if you have it on hand...This type/style of cooking in a lot of ways is about using what you have...Mostly just.....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Hiya, sorry for the late response...just got back from New Orleans!

When I make red beans and rice, I use a trinity base that is particularly lighter than usual on the green pepper, with ample amounts of butter and garlic for a quick browning. Then I add the sliced andouille or any other hot sausage you can get your hands on and like. Cook for a few more minutes. Then I add the beans and the water they soaked in (make sure you rinse them before soaking), a nice sized ham bone, bay leaves, some cajun seasoning ( I like Tony Cachere's, but that is sometimes hard to come by up here), S&P and a few good dashes to hot sauce. Cover and simmer for about 3 hours, adding more water if necessary. Serve over rice.

Thanks, VB. I'm sort of suprised to see that the tomato is not part of the original!
My thinking is that I am probably putting them (tomatoes) in there because I am forcing myself to like beans.... I never really have. Same with eggs. They are so good for you, and so inexpensive, you have to eat them! ..... I just feel I have to cover them up with ALOT of stuff!

NO TOMATO?????
Boy I hope so, I put in in everything....
Grew up with too many Bronx Italians I guess!!!

Wow I'm really drooling....
I wish I didn't have chicken marinating right now!

What are red beans? You don't mean kidney beans do you?
Or do you?

I've been researching how to make red beans & rice myself. I found a recipe I like, just gotta find a decent ham bone or ham hock. The last time I was at the grocery the ham hocks looked gross and I couldn't bring myself to buy any.
On the next rainy weekend, I'm going to try making it and a big pan of corn bread.

What are red beans? You don't mean kidney beans do you?
Or do you?

Red Kidney beans are what most people use....Camellia being the brand I use the most...they seem to be smaller than others...They also package a pink bean that works well. There is a Small Red Bean...sometimes referred to as Mexican Red Beans...they are mostly round and hold their shape well during cooking. Sometimes I mix the two...The kidneys getting soft and making "gravy" while the Small Reds give some substance....Bottom line the Kidney is what most people use because of availability.

Thanks UB. So it's what us yankees put in our chile :rolleyes:
I've only heard them referred to as kidney beans. Red beans sounds so much better.

Thanks UB. So it's what us yankees put in our chile :rolleyes:
I've only heard them referred to as kidney beans. Red beans sounds so much better.

Your welcome Pacanis! Next time you make Chili try pintos for a change instead of the Kidneys. Also if you can find the Small Red (Mexican Red Bean) they are an excellent Chili bean too!

Have Fun!

Back
Top Bottom