ISO vegan refried beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Refried beans are essentially just pinto beans. If you are going to leave out the fat (lard or other animal fat) which gives refritos flavor then you will need to substitute spices to replace the flavor. I would suggest adding cumin and/or chili powder to boost the flavor. A touch of liquid smoke would also be a nice addition.

mash some of the beans, use cooking liquid and veg broth to thin out a bit. cook with onions and garllic and spices such as chili powder oregano and cumin.

Refried beans seem to me like a simple recipe to make vegan.

When we were rehabbing an old, and in very poor shape, house (it was a disaster) we would often make them for a quick lunch.

In a cast iron skillet would saute some diced onions in veggie oil.

In the meantime would drain a can, or so, of pinto or kidney beans (kinda preferred the kidneys) and reserve the liquid.

Would then add the beans, and a bit of liquid, to the pan.

When warm, would mash the beans with a hand masher, adjusting liquid as necessary.

Would then add some hot sauce, cumin (or chili powder), maybe some garlic powder, or whatever seemed tasty at the moment.

Would then toss on a flour tortilla (would steam them over a pot of water resting on one of those thingies one puts over a frying pan to stop the flying oil drops), add some raw diced onion and maybe some diced tomato from the garden, in season.

Those beans sure did taste good, and we could turn out the whole lunch in twenty minutes.

There are more sophisticated recipes using dried beans, but I suppose my point is that one can make tasty refried beans with no meat.

These can be made for a quick snack for kids, and they love them.

And with apologies to Diane, one can add meat products to tasty effect if one wishes.

Take care and God bless.

I don't eat Pork and don't care much for any kind of animal fat in my cooking.

Here is how I make beans and I like to avoid canned goods as much as possible so this one works well for me.

Small packet of dried pinto beans
Soak them in lots of water overnight
In the morning strain them in a colander under running water (this will get rid of the starch in the beans)
Add them to a crockpot, pressure cooker or pot with 4 times the water than the beans and cook until tender and a mush (my beans get so tender that I can mash them with a wodden spoon)

I then fry them as follows:

Handful of garlic cloves (adjust to your liking) finely chopped
1 or 2 jalapenos finely chopped (again strictly your preference)
2 tsps of freshly roasted and ground cumin
salt to taste
3 tbsps of oil (I use olive or canola)

In a pan add the oil followed by the garlic and jalapenos and let it toast until lightly brown. Add the beans, cumin and salt and allow it all to cook for a atleast 20 minutes on low heat. Beans are ready. These are delicious all by themselves as a side dish. They freeze well too.

Diane1415 said:
Does anyone have a TNT recipe for Vegan refried beans.
and how do I make them nice and pasty?

What does TNT mean?

"nice and pasty" - You could cover the soaked beans with water and simmer without salt or acid until they become soft. Pintos take about 2 hours. Then add about a half teaspoon of salt, a minced garlic clove and a tablespoon of olive oil for every cup of dry beans. I use use extra virgin because I want the flavor as much as the fat.
Simmer another 20 minutes or so mashing some the beans against the side of the pot with your wooden spoon. What you'll have now is a very thick bean soup that can be served on a plate and call them frijoles. If you refrigerate them they'll thicken up and you can reheat in a skillet with a little of the oil or fat of your choice and call them refried.

auntdot said:
... Would then toss on a flour tortilla (would steam them over a pot of water resting on one of those thingies one puts over a frying pan to stop the flying oil drops) ...

What a great idea for warming tortillas ... we don't have a microwave and doing them in foil in the oven tends to give me crunchier results than I would like.

How does your recipe keep in the fridge? I'm thinking for taking them to work for lunch. Do they get really thick or ... ?

JM, this is something we would just make and use.

My guess is if you wrap them well they will be OK.

But heck, it is only tortillas and beans, so try them, save one in the fridge, and see how it lasts.

Wish I could be more help.

Take care and God bless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom