"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
... it might have been even better with Duke's mayonnaise...!
Duke's isn't available everywhere. When we vacationed in Asheville a few years back I bought a jar just because so many people rave about it. Welp, it's mayonnaise! Sorry, but I didn't really tell a difference. I've used Hellman's ever since I flew the coop. Maybe even sooner, since my dear Mom had only MW in her fridge and I was branching in with my cooking even before I had my own kitchen. Mom didn't care, just so long as I was cooking and she got a break after all those decades of cooking for us.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
looks good, my buddy. stands to reason that you removed oil and added mayo, which is whipped and stabilized oil, you'd get a good effect.

gonna try this soon with some funky cheeses. will report back.

Don't I know you from someplace?

Old 08-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

hi andy. yes, we met in the mayo aisle of the supermarket swapping labels on jars of miracle whip, replacing them with "duke's" labels...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
hi andy. yes, we met in the mayo aisle of the supermarket swapping labels on jars of miracle whip, replacing them with "duke's" labels...

Oh yeah! Right after that people began raving about MW!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

so it was you!!!!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
Master Chef

Good to see you, BT. hope your summer went well.

definitely let us know what kind of cheese you use, and the final result.

You've been missed.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, your aim ain't what it used to be...lol.

good to see you again, my big bro.

i'm thinking i may try this with sharp provolone since i just bought some yesterday and can't stop eating it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
yeah, your aim ain't what it used to be...lol.

good to see you again, my big bro.

i'm thinking i may try this with sharp provolone since i just bought some yesterday and can't stop eating it.
My aim's still good as ever. It's just these old arms won't hold as still as they used to.

You're gonna email me some of that sharp provolone, right? We are cheese challenged where I live.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Mayo is Mayo and MW is salad dressing. Off brands of it are just labeled Salad Dressing. It isn't mayo and doesn't pretend to be. Forever, my mother mixed the two when making things like potato salad, deviled eggs, etc. I always have Hellman's, but I also keep a small jar of MW or other Salad Dressing for such things. (not the same as the stuff you put on your salad.)
Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
Master Chef

Miracle Whip is my go-to choice for making Cole Slaw. I simply add enough to coat the shredded cabbage, add finely diced onion, and grated carrot. Add enough sugar to balance the tangy salad dressing, then add ice water to make it almost slushy, or very wet. Refrigerate until icy cold and serve with whatever goes good with slaw.

If you look for great recipes for slaw dressing, they end up tasting like what I just described. I was at a friends home and was making supper. i started making slaw and when I was completed, the friend didn't understand how I could have made it so quickly. I said that it was very easy, and told her how I made it. My wife backed me up and said it was good. The friend told me all that went into her home made salad dressing. Then she ate my slaw, and was amazed that it tasted just like hers, and also like KFC slaw, all juicy.

Yes, Miracle Whip has a place in my home. I also prefer it on a BLT. DW likes Helman's.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tags
cheese sauce, mayonaise, noodles, recipe

It Ain't Gourmet, But Sure is Tasty Ever have one of those days where you've just had a lot to do, and didn't feel like going all out on supper? I had one of those today. DW asked what we were going to have for supper and I said - scalloped spuds with ham and cheese. She replied "Ham again?" I said, "What about cheese macaroni and hot dogs? "Your choice." she said. And so, I opened a box of Kraft Mac "n Cheese, with extra cheese, super extra cheese, according to the box. I cooked up the noodles and knew that I was going to have to doctor the mac-n-cheese. So, I broke out the Velveeta, Queso-Blancho style. It actually tastes like the Velveeta I remember as a kid, but with no food coloring added. I like it better that the "original recipe", which I suspect isn't very close to the recipe they used back in the 60's. So anyways, I added the milk, and cheese powder, broke up the Velveeta and stirred it in. But I hadn't added the oil, as an idea had crept into my devious mind. I substituted the oil with two, heaping tsp. of Helman's mayo. Now I know what you're thinking, "you can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear." But I'm telling you that this batch of mac-n-cheese was so creamy, and had pretty good cheese flavor. It was heads and shoulders above the normal Kraft Mac "n Cheese. Add to that good quality hot dogs cooked over the gas flame on my stove, and home-made Harvard beets, sweetened with Stevia, and flavored with rice vinegar, and it turned out to be a pretty tasty meal. So all of you blue box haters out there, know that with a little kindness, and attention, the contents can be made into something worth eating. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews