"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Master Chef

It Ain't Gourmet, But Sure is Tasty

Ever have one of those days where you've just had a lot to do, and didn't feel like going all out on supper? I had one of those today. DW asked what we were going to have for supper and I said - scalloped spuds with ham and cheese. She replied "Ham again?"

I said, "What about cheese macaroni and hot dogs?

"Your choice." she said.

And so, I opened a box of Kraft Mac "n Cheese, with extra cheese, super extra cheese, according to the box. I cooked up the noodles and knew that I was going to have to doctor the mac-n-cheese. So, I broke out the Velveeta, Queso-Blancho style. It actually tastes like the Velveeta I remember as a kid, but with no food coloring added. I like it better that the "original recipe", which I suspect isn't very close to the recipe they used back in the 60's.

So anyways, I added the milk, and cheese powder, broke up the Velveeta and stirred it in. But I hadn't added the oil, as an idea had crept into my devious mind. I substituted the oil with two, heaping tsp. of Helman's mayo.

Now I know what you're thinking, "you can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear." But I'm telling you that this batch of mac-n-cheese was so creamy, and had pretty good cheese flavor. It was heads and shoulders above the normal Kraft Mac "n Cheese.

Add to that good quality hot dogs cooked over the gas flame on my stove, and home-made Harvard beets, sweetened with Stevia, and flavored with rice vinegar, and it turned out to be a pretty tasty meal.

So all of you blue box haters out there, know that with a little kindness, and attention, the contents can be made into something worth eating.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Sounds pretty darn good, Chief.
On the other hand, (and I reckon that's why we have two hands), it might have been even better with Duke's mayonnaise.
OK, ok.......I know that that road has been trod enough.
I think I will give your idea a try over the weekend.
Thanks!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Sounds pretty darn good, Chief.
On the other hand, (and I reckon that's why we have two hands), it might have been even better with Duke's mayonnaise.
OK, ok.......I know that that road has been trod enough.
I think I will give your idea a try over the weekend.
Thanks!
You get a pass as long as you don't say Miracle Whip! Yes there are people that think Miracle Whip is mayonnaise.

I've been known to plop some mayo into mashed potatoes, makes them creamy and flavorful.

I'll remember this, my other half likes boxed macaroni and cheese but I always think that it's bland and tastes like the box it came in.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I heartily agree about Miracle Whip....I have made several recipes from the Duke's Mayonnaise website....the Parmesan Crusted Chicken is mighty good. I reckon, it would be good with Hellmann's, too.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
You get a pass as long as you don't say Miracle Whip! Yes there are people that think Miracle Whip is mayonnaise.

I've been known to plop some mayo into mashed potatoes, makes them creamy and flavorful.

I'll remember this, my other half likes boxed macaroni and cheese but I always think that it's bland and tastes like the box it came in.
I don't think Miracle Whip is Mayo, but for sandwiches with cold cuts, its my go to.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm not a "blue box hater". I've never tried Kraft Dinner. I have no reason to buy it.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I know a lot of folks who like may in their mashed potatoes. They tell me it is like hot potato salad. Huh?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know a lot of folks who like may in their mashed potatoes. They tell me it is like hot potato salad. Huh?
I don't use a lot, you wouldn't really know it was there, you'd just think that they were tasty, creamy mashed potatoes. I usually just plop a big spoonful in.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't use a lot, you wouldn't really know it was there, you'd just think that they were tasty, creamy mashed potatoes. I usually just plop a big spoonful in.
I don't make mashed potatoes too often nowadays. Too many calories and carbs for me. Way too much butter in relation to potatoes. But I will have to try it next time on half of my baked 'tater.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

looks good, my buddy. stands to reason that you removed oil and added mayo, which is whipped and stabilized oil, you'd get a good effect.

gonna try this soon with some funky cheeses. will report back.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese sauce, mayonaise, noodles, recipe

It Ain't Gourmet, But Sure is Tasty Ever have one of those days where you've just had a lot to do, and didn't feel like going all out on supper? I had one of those today. DW asked what we were going to have for supper and I said - scalloped spuds with ham and cheese. She replied "Ham again?" I said, "What about cheese macaroni and hot dogs? "Your choice." she said. And so, I opened a box of Kraft Mac "n Cheese, with extra cheese, super extra cheese, according to the box. I cooked up the noodles and knew that I was going to have to doctor the mac-n-cheese. So, I broke out the Velveeta, Queso-Blancho style. It actually tastes like the Velveeta I remember as a kid, but with no food coloring added. I like it better that the "original recipe", which I suspect isn't very close to the recipe they used back in the 60's. So anyways, I added the milk, and cheese powder, broke up the Velveeta and stirred it in. But I hadn't added the oil, as an idea had crept into my devious mind. I substituted the oil with two, heaping tsp. of Helman's mayo. Now I know what you're thinking, "you can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear." But I'm telling you that this batch of mac-n-cheese was so creamy, and had pretty good cheese flavor. It was heads and shoulders above the normal Kraft Mac "n Cheese. Add to that good quality hot dogs cooked over the gas flame on my stove, and home-made Harvard beets, sweetened with Stevia, and flavored with rice vinegar, and it turned out to be a pretty tasty meal. So all of you blue box haters out there, know that with a little kindness, and attention, the contents can be made into something worth eating. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews