Jambalaya

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sauce for topping the Jambalaya

I've never made this sauce, but I remember that Andy mentioned it in one of his previous posts. Looked it up in my Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen cookbook.

I hope that it all turns out as good as it looks on paper!

ALSO:

Found this definition in the book for jambalaya:

Pronounced djum-buh-lie-ya, is a rice dish highly seasoned and strongly flavored with any combination of beef, pork, fowl, smoked sausage, ham (or tasso) or seafood, and often containing tomatoes. According to the Acadian Dictionary (Rita and Gabrielle Claudet, Houma, Louisiana, 1981), the word "jambalaya" "...comes from the French 'jambon' meaning ham, the African 'ya' meaning rice, and the Acadian (language) where everything is 'a la.'"

And, if it tastes good, then it is "Just Right!"

Attachments

• Creole Sauce-Jambalaya-Paul Prudhomme.pdf
    226.9 KB · Views: 245
Jambalaya sounds goood. What is gumbo file powder? Don't think it's available in Australia. What does it contain? Any substitutes?

File powder is ground sassafrass root. You're right, it's probably not readily available in Austrailia. Heck, I had a hard time finding it in Michigan! I ended up buying an 8 oz container from a spice vendor at the restaurant I worked at back then. Now that I'm further south, in Oklahoma, it's readily available here, although, I'm probably not going to need any for quite some time.

Andy M. said:
Constance, I use Paul Prudhomme's recipe for chicken and tasso jambalaya and it contains tomatos. I didn't know tomatos were not traditional.

Not only do I usually use tomatoes, but last time I got caried away with the cayenne pepper and ended up adding a quart of Tomato juice as well. I was afraid the spiciness would give the little old lady (83 and going strong!) next door, whom I frequently share my concoctions with, a heart attack. She is, after all, Norwegian, not Cajun, Latina, or Thai.

Back
Top Bottom