"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Out of curiosity why would it taste better tomorrow reheating it? Doesn't reheating dry it out?
It doesn't need to be cooked and then reheated, but it does taste better the day after preparing it, because then the flavors have time to meld. I always make lasagna one or two days before I cook and serve it. And reheating doesn't dry it out if you cover it with foil. Since there's only two of us, we usually end up eating lasagna for a few days (I make two half-pans and freeze one).

Old 12-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It doesn't need to be cooked and then reheated, but it does taste better the day after preparing it, because then the flavors have time to meld. I always make lasagna one or two days before I cook and serve it. And reheating doesn't dry it out if you cover it with foil. Since there's only two of us, we usually end up eating lasagna for a few days (I make two half-pans and freeze one).
So definitely make the sauce. I got that.

GotGarlic are you saying, which others seem to be, to build it today and bake it tomorrow? I think that is where I'm leaning.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:

Build it today and bake it tomorrow? I think that is where I'm leaning.
Yep, yep, yeppers! I've done it many times with 100% success. Just take it out before you preheat your oven so it can warm up a bit. You'll be fine. Although, the smell may kill you while it's cooking. Lasagna is Italian perfume. Yum!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So definitely make the sauce. I got that.

GotGarlic are you saying, which others seem to be, to build it today and bake it tomorrow? I think that is where I'm leaning.
Yes, that's what I do. Sorry, I should have said "assemble" the lasagna a day or two ahead, then bake. It will be great
Old 12-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
Master Chef

I agree. You can assemble it today and bake tomorrow. One thing I might add is to put a layer of plastic wrap on first and then the foil to store. I've found that sometimes the acid of the tomato sauce eats away tiny parts of the foil and the cheese won't stick to to wrap. Then of course remove the plastic wrap and replace the foil before baking. I've done this before and it works. Also if you end up not cooking it it is ready for the freezer!
Old 12-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Thanks everyone. My internet provider changed at noon today and I've been stressed for the last few hours trying to get it back thinking it was my computer or something. I am starting the sauce now and by tonight I'll have built my lasagna.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
Executive Chef

As chance would have it, my SIL called and said to definitely assemble it tonight (she's a chef but I never know where to get in touch with her). So that is definitely the decision.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Uh oh!! I was supposed to have, as I understand the recipe, 4 layers of noodles but I only ended up with three but I used all my sauce and all my cheese (plus extra). I also have extra sausage, which is fine I can use that in queso. But I don't know what to think. I'll, of course, cook it, but it's going to be a lot more cheese then sauce and noodles. I'm afraid it's going to be dry without more sauce. Dry lasagna would be so bad. Seriously, sometimes I wonder why I try with it being just my daughter and I. I guess I could make some sauce for the side just in case.....couldn't I??
Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #19
Master Chef

It should be just fine. The recipe I use has only 2 layers of noodles. It layers meat sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, noodles, meat sauce, mozzarella cheese. If you used all the sauce the recipe called for it should be fine.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Mine was sauce, noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, meat, parmasian, sauces, noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, meat, parmasian, sauce, noodles, sauce, cheeses.

Tags
None