"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Lasagna???

Can I put it all together today and cook it tomorrow? My fear, since it's my first time is that I'll mess up the noodles and need to go buy more. I know, just go buy more just in case, well, I'm broke and the stores are cleaned out. I got two of the last 5 boxes of real pasta (not Walmart brand).

Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I would cook it today, then re-heat tomorrow for the best flavor.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I would cook it today, then re-heat tomorrow for the best flavor.
Out of curiosity why would it taste better tomorrow reheating it? Doesn't reheating dry it out?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Nope. Lasagna (and other pasta/red sauce dishes) always taste better the next day.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Can I put it all together today and cook it tomorrow? My fear, since it's my first time is that I'll mess up the noodles and need to go buy more. I know, just go buy more just in case, well, I'm broke and the stores are cleaned out. I got two of the last 5 boxes of real pasta (not Walmart brand).
I would make it the same day. You asked if you could put it all together & cook tomorrow. Do you mean reheat tomorrow? Can you show us the recipe you have in mind? What are boxes of real pasta? Do you mean dry lasagna noodles? Noticed you mentioned in another thread you have canned diced tomatoes. Need more info - recipe & ingredients.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
I would make it the same day. You asked if you could put it all together & cook tomorrow. Do you mean reheat tomorrow? Can you show us the recipe you have in mind? What are boxes of real pasta? Do you mean dry lasagna noodles? Noticed you mentioned in another thread you have canned diced tomatoes. Need more info - recipe & ingredients.
Recipe to follow. By "real pasta" I mean not walmart brand lasagna noodles. An actual brand name pasta. I find walmart pasta to be dry, or mushy and grainy, no matter what you do. By put it together I mean, put assemble the lasagna, let it sit in the fridge tonight and then bake it tomorrow.

Here's the recipe:

2 pounds lasagna sheets
2 cups hand cut 1/8-inch slices pepperoni
4 cups tomato sauce, recipe follows
1 pound ricotta
16 ounces shredded mozzarella
2 pounds bulk Italian sausage, cooked
3/4 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Boil 6 quarts of water, add pinch of salt, and cook pasta to almost done. Remove from water and shock in ice bath.
In medium saucepan add pepperoni and sauté over medium heat until crispy. Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel.

Tomato Sauce:
3 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, minced
5 medium-sized garlic cloves, crushed
6 cups skinned and diced Roma tomatoes
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook over medium to low heat until transparent. Add garlic and cook until almost brown. Then add tomatoes and cook for 1/2 hour over low to medium heat. Add the basil and oregano and continue to cook for another 1/2 hour. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

In a 10-by-14-by-3-inch baking pan or dish, pour 1 cup of tomato sauce in bottom and around sides. Layer lasagna sheets on the bottom of the pan, overlapping by 1/2-inch. Add 1/3 amount of ricotta, 1/3 amount of mozzarella, 1/3 amount of sausage, then sprinkle generously with the Parmesan, add 1/2 cup tomato sauce, and 1/4 cup of pepperoni. Repeat this 2 more times.
On the very top sheet, top with remaining ricotta, tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, and dust with Parmesan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes. Remove from oven; let sit for 15 minutes. Cut and serve immediately.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Put your lasagna together, put a sheet of aluminium foil over the lasagna pan and pinch the edges to form a tight seal, and stick it on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator. Then, tomorrow, remove it from the fridge, preheat your oven, and bake it. Take the aluminium foil off about 15 minutes before it's done cooking so the top cheese will get brown and bubbly.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I have done both, and I would assemble today and bake tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Put your lasagna together, put a sheet of aluminium foil over the lasagna pan and pinch the edges to form a tight seal, and stick it on the bottom shelf of your refrigerator. Then, tomorrow, remove it from the fridge, preheat your oven, and bake it. Take the aluminium foil off about 15 minutes before it's done cooking so the top cheese will get brown and bubbly.
Callisto, you can do just as Caine noted. One thing I recommend is that after you have shocked the noodles in cold water, dry them on some clean towels. You don't want added liquid to water down your lasagna.

I have family from Sicily and here's Grandma Grillo's recipe. It's been in our family for generations and is just too yummy.

Enjoy your lasagna.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Recipe to follow. By "real pasta" I mean not walmart brand lasagna noodles. An actual brand name pasta. I find walmart pasta to be dry, or mushy and grainy, no matter what you do. By put it together I mean, put assemble the lasagna, let it sit in the fridge tonight and then bake it tomorrow.

Here's the recipe:

2 pounds lasagna sheets
2 cups hand cut 1/8-inch slices pepperoni
4 cups tomato sauce, recipe follows
1 pound ricotta
16 ounces shredded mozzarella
2 pounds bulk Italian sausage, cooked
3/4 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Boil 6 quarts of water, add pinch of salt, and cook pasta to almost done. Remove from water and shock in ice bath.
In medium saucepan add pepperoni and sauté over medium heat until crispy. Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel.

Tomato Sauce:
3 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, minced
5 medium-sized garlic cloves, crushed
6 cups skinned and diced Roma tomatoes
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook over medium to low heat until transparent. Add garlic and cook until almost brown. Then add tomatoes and cook for 1/2 hour over low to medium heat. Add the basil and oregano and continue to cook for another 1/2 hour. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

In a 10-by-14-by-3-inch baking pan or dish, pour 1 cup of tomato sauce in bottom and around sides. Layer lasagna sheets on the bottom of the pan, overlapping by 1/2-inch. Add 1/3 amount of ricotta, 1/3 amount of mozzarella, 1/3 amount of sausage, then sprinkle generously with the Parmesan, add 1/2 cup tomato sauce, and 1/4 cup of pepperoni. Repeat this 2 more times.
On the very top sheet, top with remaining ricotta, tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, and dust with Parmesan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes. Remove from oven; let sit for 15 minutes. Cut and serve immediately.
I would make your sauce ahead (if you want to save time), and use your recipe to prepare your lasagna tomorrow - the day of. Don't worry too much about the noodles breaking. You can always doctor them up/hide the broken cooked noodles in your layering of ingredients.

Tags
None