Good Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen,
This Spinach, Mushroom with home made Ricotta and Home Made Lasagne by scratch is completely vegetarian and the original recipe had been given to me by a D.C. Member.
Thus, Here is my version, in which I have researched the Emilia Romagna Government variations, which are the same as in this recipe.
STEP 1: THE HOME MADE PASTA DOUGH
1 tblsp salt
1 cup firmly packed fresh spinach ( 1 ounce )
4 extra large eggs
4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tblsp Evoo
1. bring 3 quarts of water to boil in a 5 quart pot and add 1 tblsp salt
2. Have ready: a large bowl of ice and cold water next to stove
3. blanch the fresh spinach ( do not use frozen, too much liquid chlorophyll ) 45 seconds and drain extremely well in a Fine Sieve and immediately chill completely in Ice Bath.
4. drain the spinach and squeeze squeeze dry in a kitch towel or cheesecloth
5. remove as much liquid as possible and chop very very finely
6. stir the spinach with the eggs and 1/2 tsp. of Evoo and combine in a bowl well
7. mound 3 1/2 cups of flour in centre of large cutting board
8. Using a fork, beat the egg mixture and incorporate the flour mixture, adding the egg mixture gradually a little at a time
9. when you have obtained a thick type paste, and cannot mix any longer, and the 1/2 of the flour is incorporated, start kneading the dough with both hands.
10. Knead until cohesive mass is created with all the flour, and scrape the cutting board with scraper and lightly dust with more flour and continue kneading for 8 minutes until the dough is elastic.
11. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature for 45 minutes.
STEP 2 : THE LASAGNE VEGETABLE RAG┘ FILLING
5 tblsps Evoo
3 tblsps unsalted butter
1 carrot finely chopped
1 spring onion finely chopped ( Can Use Onion, or Shallots )
1 leek finely chopped
1 celery stalk finely chopped
1/2 pound of Blanched and cooled spinach
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 /2 pound Buffala di Mozzarella
Pecorino Sardo freshly grated and / or Reggiano Parmesano
1 pound Ricotta home made ( See Cheese Section for my simple Recipe )
1 pound Fresh Mushrooms or Ceps ( slice the Umbrella into 4 medium thick slices & discard the stools )
1 Red bell pepper - chop finely
1 green bell pepper - chop finely
*** NOTE: FOR THOSE WHO PREFER, THIS CAN BE MADE WITH FRESH BROCOLLI OR CAULIFLOWER.
1. heat oil and butter in a wide 8 quart heavy pot over moderate heat until butter melted
2. then, sautÚ carrot, spring onion, celery, leek, and garlic and all veggies except the Ceps; stirring occasionally. Sprinkle salt, black freshly ground pepper, sprinkle a pinch of: dried oregano, basil, parsley and thyme.
3. when the veggies are tender, yet firm, drain and tent in platter and keep warm.
4. Turn up heat a little, and wipe out pot, and place 2 tblsps of Evoo, and two cloves of additional garlic minced, and sautÚ the Ceps separately sprinkled with parsley and a pinch of salt. Try not to break the Ceps, as they shall be placed on top of the spinach and veggie mixture prior to placing a layer of lasagne on top of them.
5. drain and tent separately.
6. Combine the cheeses sliced very finely in a food processor, and sprinkle with a pinch of basil, parsley, oregano.
7. Place a tiny amount of Evoo on bed of an enamel two inch high ( no less ) lasagne pan, and then, a layer of lasagne, then spread the creamy yet thick cheese mixture on top of the 1st layer of lasagne and then spread the veggie mixture. Please note: I do not break the Ceps. Then arrange the Ceps on top of the spinach & veggie mixture. Continue, until you have 6 layers.
8. The 7th layer shall be the Besciamella ( white sauce ).
STEP 3: BESCIAMELLA
5 tblsps unsalted butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour 3 cups whole milk
1 1/2 tsps salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg