"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
Senior Cook

well, the first bite, I tasted the swiss RIGHT away... it did not string out like mozz. does. But it tasted good. made it kinda of interesting, because you could taste the mozz. cheese, then the swiss in the next bite... but I had all of this shredded, I bet it would have been better if they were slices of cheese instead of shredded. But, doubt I would make it again like this. But, if you want a different kind of lasagne, try it.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
Master Chef

For a great lasagna that's again "different", use a combination of ricotta, cottage cheese, and muenster. The muenster adds a definite dairy flavor to the mix, and strings out like mozzarella when melted.

Medium cheddar is also very good in lasagna, epsecially when adding chopped black olives and sauted mushrroms. In fact, you can alter the lasagna ingredients in so many different ways. After all, the noodles are simply fairly bland pasta, used to create a layerd dish. You could sandwich things like brocolli and cauliflower, with crumbled bacon and a blue-cheese sauce, or use diced pieces of grilled steak with queso sauce. It's really up to you. I could almost entertain the thought of baking a fruit-filled lasagna. And I konw I could come up with a seafood lasagna, maybe with a lemon and tarragon flavored bechemel, or a tomato-horseradish sauce.

Again I say, don't limit yourself to a standard. Expand upon everything you do. That way, you will become the expert.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
Master Chef

I'm sure it tasted just fine.
When my kids were little, I made homemade pizza a lot, because the family loved it. We didn't have much money, and there were a few times when we were really broke and the kids were clamoring for pizza, that I made it with Velveeta cheese, because that's all I had on hand.
I know, it's enough to make an Italian turn green, but it actually tasted pretty good...just not like real pizza. The kids didn't care...they got pizza crust with tomato sauce, hamburger and cheese, and they were happy as clams.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
Cook

I might just try it with swiss. My husband loves all sorts of different kinds of cheese and he might really enjoy different cheesy layers
Old 05-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #15
Master Chef

As far as I'm concerned, all cheese is good cheese in the lasagna department. Just give it a new name. Swiss Lasagna works!

Tags
None