"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Good Evening Charlie,

When you mentioned a gnocchi shape, and then a poster discussed a rope / cord or snake shaped pasta --- Are we talking about:

1- Tortelli which is a square shaped Ravioli ?

2- Panzerotti which is a half moon shape Ravioli ?

3- Fenesècchie which is a 6 inch thick Rope pasta ?

4- Or is it Cappelletti, a Ravioli rounded circular shape ?

What shape in other words are these Dumplings ?

They sound wonderful.
Thanks for posting the recipe.
Margi. Cintrano.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Master Chef

I really was not talking about any particular shape, more kind of variations of the name of the similar dish in different parts of the world. Honestly, gnocchi are not even made like this as far as I know; they supposed to be with potato, are they not?
By the same talking you can throw in Chinese or Japanese dumplings.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Charlie: Dumpling Recipe

Good Evening Charlie,

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Gnocchi can be made with grated Potato or wheat flour ... and / or with spinach added ... Depending on region ...

Your dumplings: so, are they sort of like Wonton-ish ?

Are they similar to a Russian Perogi ?

Fiona had stated: rolled into a rope shape ... so therefore a shape which would be like a rectangular packet ?

Shape does not matter, I could see from your recipe ... the key is the DOUGH & how the dough is made ... and then, boiling process and of course the stuffing.

I just re-read it ... and I believe I can manage to follow ur instructions when I return from our anniversary trip. We are leaving 14th Monday and returning 19th Saturday afternoon.

They sound real nice ...

Thanks,
Margi.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Margi,

Charlie ends up with a long rope of dough and just cuts it into coins, which he then boils. They are not filled, that's why he calls them "Lazy."
Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Princess Fiona,

Thanks for your assistance ... Now I understand ...

Have nice wkend.
Margi.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Margi,

Charlie ends up with a long rope of dough and just cuts it into coins, which he then boils. They are not filled, that's why he calls them "Lazy."
That is right, thank you.

Yea, Marg, just mix flour and cheese together and you are good to go. Even if you simply rip small pieces of the dough and throw into boiling water. The idea is to help people like me, lazy and busy. Simple solution.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Charlie,

Good Morning,

Thanks very much. Shall do ... they sound scrumptuous ... I am a mangia mangia di Pasta ( pasta eater ) ...

Margi.

Tags
recipe

Lazy Pirogy [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]Lazy Pirogy, or as they are called in Russian Lenivie Vareniki. (TNT)[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]Or you can call them Halushki in Ukrainian, or if you want to make them Italian, they would probably be called gnocchi. Not sure though.[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]Anyways:[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]½ lb. farmers’ cheese[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1 egg[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1 cup flour[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]Salt to taste [/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]½ tea spoon Baking soda [/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]and [/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]1 table spoon of vinegar mixed together [/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style](Can be substituted for baking powder) [/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Bookman Old Style]I was really lazy this morning, could not get out of the bed. I overslept my first shift of Morning Prayer, decided to make something different for kids. I did not have Farmers cheese, only Cottage, I do not really like to use it because it has too much liquid for this this dish, but I did it anyway, had to add more flour. Mix/kneed everything together till a ball forms, roll it out into a long round, or not so round, ahh, darn, what is it cold, you know shape like snake, round and long. Anyways you know what I mean. Do you? If you do tell me what it is called, please. Doesn’t have to be perfect by any means. In the meantime boil some water in a pot, it is better to have pot big enough so you pasta, let’s call it that, will have enough room to cook and grow, because if you did it right it will grow. Add a little bit of sat to the water. Slice the pasta into about half an inch to ¾ of an inch pieces and put into boiling water. In the beginning when I first started making this I would cook only one to see if it falls apart, if it did I would add more flour and kneed it some more. When they swim to the top, give them couple more minutes and they are done. Take it out with slotted spoon; serve with butter and sour cream. [/FONT][/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews