"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
Cook

Left over turkey dressing for breakfast

I heard about this dish last year and was excited to try it.

You take left over bread stuffing / dressing from Thanksgiving (or another holiday) and lightly press some into a waffle iron.

While the "waffle" is warming and getting lightly golden brown and a touch crispy, poach an egg or two. I like the yolks runny.

Serve the "waffle" with the poached eggs on top.

Yum! Even tastier than I imagined. I had it for breakfast Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (when I sadly ran out of stuffing).

profnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Master Chef

Many things make good breakfast fare. I always make extra kartoffelklosse (stuffed potato dumplings) when having sauerbraten so I can slice them and fry them in butter for breakfast with poached or over easy eggs. I use the same dressing recipe to stuff them with that I make for T-day.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I made stuffing waffles once. Regular waffle iron, not a Belgian maker. I accidently let them get crispy all the way through, so they were like frisbees.

I certainly would make these again and keep a better eye on their cooking progress. Yes, it is a sad day when there is no more stuffing.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Yes, it is a sad day when there is no more stuffing.

Unless you plan ahead and make a boat load to last a year like we do Whiska. It's a real production that could use a boat oar for the mixing.

According to the SC, my dressing is golden and he hoards the frozen packets of the stuffing to last till next Thanksgiving.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Yes, it is a sad day when there is no more stuffing.
It is but... Its very much worth making for days which are not holidays... I make small batch dressing..
Ross
Old 11-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I sometimes make small batch dressing during the year also Ross, but the Thanksgiving dressing is really special and I never go all out with the ingredients any other time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I sometimes make small batch dressing during the year also Ross, but the Thanksgiving dressing is really special and I never go all out with the ingredients any other time.
I can understand that..

Ross
Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I would really like these waffles, but unfortunately, my diabetes does not allow me to eat much of it, and all the leftover stuffing goes out the door with my guests. So this is something I can just dream about. Otherwise, I would be making stuffing at least once a week all year round.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
I heard about this dish last year and was excited to try it.

You take left over bread stuffing / dressing from Thanksgiving (or another holiday) and lightly press some into a waffle iron.

While the "waffle" is warming and getting lightly golden brown and a touch crispy, poach an egg or two. I like the yolks runny.

Serve the "waffle" with the poached eggs on top.

Yum! Even tastier than I imagined. I had it for breakfast Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (when I sadly ran out of stuffing).
And that is why they make Stove Top Stuffing along with other brands. So you can have stuffing the year round.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Sadly my guests took almost all the leftovers. Little did they know, I hid half of the remaining fixins in the very back bottom shelf of the fridge.

Anyone else have this issue? My sister used to take most all the remaining white turkey meat. Sometimes we did not know how much was gone until the guests were gone.
I have been hiding things for a few years now.
I feel a little funny doing it. What do you guys think?

Hide it? Inform guests take out will be prepared by me? Or just make extra, extra?

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, dressing, fast, turkey