Leftover white rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glorie

Senior Cook
I always seem to have leftover white rice. Does anyone have an ideas how I can use this another way other than mixing it in the dog's food? lol :angel:

I mix in steamed veggies and some parmesan cheese and have it for lunch.

make a 'gravy' out of cream of mushroom soup and eat if for lunch the next day.

( but don't tell anyone on this site!!!)

I make chinese rice. Or mix with vegetables, or cooked leftover meat, well chopped, one egg, salt, pepper, garlic, herbs and make little fritters.
Or simply "refresh it" with a little water or broth, and have with a different kind of meat and vegetables.

I got this idea from Jim Chee's cookbook. He said he had it all the time as a child. I love it!

Just drizzle a little veg oil (not olive oil - the flavor is too pronounced) over cold rice. Mix. Sprinkle on a little soy sauce. Mix. Add chopped scallions, optional. Good stuff!

Also, here are a lot of good ideas in an earlier thread http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/what-to-do-with-a-ton-of-rice-25006.html

Lee

To one cup of rice add 6 eggs or so several teaspoons of finely diced fresh parsley, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese and a few shakes of garlic powder add a little salt and pepper and bake til top is a light gold color..This is my family's favorite torta for any party or birthday
kadesma

Fried rice comes to mind. Or add some raisins, some eggs mix well. Hit the frying pan add some oil and fry the mixture on one side first, then using a lid flip it over fry on the other side, Yum.

Milk and rice heated up in the microwave makes a nice breakfast cereal, especially if you add some brown sugar, fruit, or other things to your liking.

I also make up some gravy, add some corn, and place on top of the warmed up rice in a bowl and maybe even add some leftover meat. You pay big bucks for the same thing from restaurants like KFC.

Also Rice Pudding comes to mind.

I often use mine to make fried rice or mixed into Lamb burgers also...

Easy Italian Rice Balls:
16oz ricotta
parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
parsley
salt/ pepper
2 egg yolks
Long grain rice cooked and dried

Mix all together and make balls out of them

Whip egg whites.
Dip the balls in egg whites
then roll in bread crumbs
deep fry

Rice Pancakes

If I don't make fried rice I will make rice pancakes.

2 Cups Rice
3 TBS Flour
1/2 t Baking powder
1 lg. Egg
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 T Cinnamon
Quanities are not exact. Eye ball it!
Mix to the consistancy of regular pancakes.
Fry as pancakes.
I like mine with butter and honey.

Charlie

rice salad, add onions,peppers,parsley,garlic,salt,pepper evoo,vinegar oh and tomatoes. my dh does not like rice (whats not to like?) but does like this salad it's similar to tabouhli salad

Stir fry it with eggs, onions and whatever else you fancy, to make Chinese fried rice. :chef:

Fried rice is what leftover rice always ends up in around here. I just saute (or stirfry) it with some fresh &/or frozen veggies (bok choy, water chestnuts, peas, carrots, onions - all diced), some frozen shrimp &/or diced turkey ham &/or sauteed diced chicken, etc., etc. Add a little garlic, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, whatever, etc. Terrific meal that also makes great leftovers for lunch.

Fried rice or make some Mediteranean Style braised chicken thighs and top the rice with that. Or a chicken curry.

Back
Top Bottom