"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Let's talk Jambalaya...

I love a good jambalaya. I know it's not traditional, but I love to use leftover ham as an ingredient in my jambalaya. Other than that, I keep my recipe fairly authentic. It's also one of those recipes that you can play around with and come up with something very satisfying every time with what you have on hand.
Like tonight, I am going to make it with, leftover ham and chicken breast. I used up all of the shrimp a few nights ago so there won't be any of that in the mix. I have some home made chorizo in freezer so I may use up one or two of those. Comfort food......yummm

Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We really like jambalaya. I haven't made one recently. I like to use chicken thigh meat as it stays moist. Shrimp and andouille are also great in jambalaya.

I usually make a creole sauce to go with it.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Good Afternoon,

Since there are some of us, who do not know how to prepare Creole or New Orleans style cuisine, are there any natives who can give us a recipe ?

Sounds very interesting ... I have had some Creole many many years ago and some New Orleans Gumbo ...

It could be alot of fun, for a group of USA friends I work with ...

Thanks alot.
Margi.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We really like jambalaya. I haven't made one recently. I like to use chicken thigh meat as it stays moist. Shrimp and andouille are also great in jambalaya.

I usually make a creole sauce to go with it.
Normally I put shrimp in, but I don't have any today and I'm not going to drive into town to get some. The Andouille I would love but its not that common around here( I have to drive downtown Ottawa) so I am going to use chorizo instead.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Normally I put shrimp in, but I don't have any today and I'm not going to drive into town to get some. The Andouille I would love but its not that common around here( I have to drive downtown Ottawa) so I am going to use chorizo instead.

Chorizo will work fine.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Since there are some of us, who do not know how to prepare Creole or New Orleans style cuisine, are there any natives who can give us a recipe?
Margi,

I'm not a native New Orleanian, but I've cooked quite a few of the native dishes. I find this website to be a fantastic source for Cajun and Creole recipes:

Creole/Cajun: The Basics

The man who maintains the website is a native and has done his research. Every one of his recipes I've made has turned out fantastic. He's an advocate of fresh ingredients and homemade stock.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Executive Chef

@ Steve,

Thanks very much for the Creole and Cajun cuisines website.
Kindest.
Margi.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Executive Chef

@ Steve,

The shrimp creole looks lovely ... I just took a quick scan ...

Have to spend some time understanding the ingredients of Cajun and Creole and the various stocks, etc.

Kindest.
Margi.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I am not a fan of Jambulia.. too much rice for me.. I prefer creole sauce or Gumbo..

in Spanish, is much like Paella..

also to Steve, your page came up blank to Me.. I like this page for Louisian stuff..

The Gumbo Pages :: Make Levees, Not War

Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I've made many variations of jambalaya and have found the one I like best is from Paul Prudhomme. Here is a link. Chicken and Tasso Jambalaya Recipe at Epicurious.com

Tasso is a very spicy cured and smoked ham, for which I believe there isn't a substitute. We make our own using one of Emeril's recipes. I can't find the creole sauce recipe that we use on line, but it is really spicy. We had to tone it down due to our Tasso being much spicier than most commercial brands.

Tags
None