"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Linguine with Clams and Garlic Cream Sauce

I'd like to try this, but wondering if there's enough cream and wine (since there's a reduction) for 1/2 lb of dry pasta. Any thoughts?

Linguine with Clams and Garlic Cream Sauce
Serves 2

16 baby clams in the shell, cleaned
3 cloves garlic, crushed
˝ cup of white wine or chicken stock
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons butter
˝ pound linguine (dry weight), cooked and drained

In a heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook butter and garlic until garlic is soft. Add the clams and wine and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook a couple of minutes, until the clams open, then add the cream. Discard any clams that do not open. Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the linguine, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.

This could be an easy company dish served with salad, garlic toast, white wine, tiramisu or cannoli & coffee.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
Everymom

YUM!!! I would double it up though mish. I would do 1/2 chicken stock 1/2 wine.

Y'know, I was GOING to make clam chowder with my baby clams, but I think this looks better. I might have to do this instead. I will ask Ken what jumps out at him. (Saving the recipe anyway!) Thanks mish!

Old 09-17-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

I agree. I might try this using a total of 1-1/2 cups of liquid. We like lots of sauce!! Thanks for a great recipe!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thank you, thank you Alix & Shunka! What a great site...you folks always come to my rescue when I have a question. You think as I do. I'd double the sauce. (If there's any left over, ha ha - that's a plus.) Can't tell you how many many times I've made linguine & clam sauce, but this one jumped out at me with a cream sauce. Do I dare add cooked diced bacon or proscuitto? - or would that be gilding the lily?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
Everymom

Well let me just say that my dad's base for clam chowder always included some salt pork or bacon. Lets face it, everything is better with bacon! I am attempting to print this baby to take upstairs. Wish me luck. We have decided on linguine instead of chowder. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Hey...I have some fresh basil...you think a bit chopped up would work in this or would that be weird?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Hey...I have some fresh basil...you think a bit chopped up would work in this or would that be weird?
That sounds REALLY good to me, Alix!. I prefer fresh basil over Italian flat leaf parsley (depends on the recipe). Love trouble shooting a recipe here & getting all the input. Can I add a squeeze of a little lemon juice - or would it be over-kill to the cream sauce/clams?
Old 09-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Head Chef

I would add the lemon juice, bacon and the basil might be a great addition!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
Everymom

OK, I am going with the basil, no lemon juice (I don't want to chance any curdling, I'm a wuss) and some proscuitto (got some to use up). I have the sauce on now to reduce. I will post results and crowd reaction later.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
Senior Cook

1/2 lb is about 2 to 3 servings and there's more than enough
liquid IMO.

The only concern with this recipe is reducing the sauce
by half with the clams in the pot.I certainly wouldn't recommend you do that,unless you want little rubber bullets
for clams. It's important that the clam liquor be in with the sauce while reducing,so you might want to either look into getting some bottled clam juice or a can of clams and use the
juice from that.Just a thought.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
I would add the lemon juice, bacon and the basil might be a great addition!!!
Lemon juice is a good call!! Also the same recipe will be delicious replacing the clams with prawns!

Tags
None