"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Master Chef

You're "Sea Food Pasta" sounds wonderful CWS..so much more than "Linguini and Clam Sauce".

Linguini and Clam Sauce is one of my "go to" recipes as I always keep what's needed for this simple recipe I use on hand.

canned clams & juice
white onion or shallot
bottled clam juice
fresh grated garlic
Sherry
fresh parsley
just a few hot pepper flake
olive oil and butter

(The clams themselves should be added to the mix at the last minute, just to heat through or they will be tough.)

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I live a block from the Atlantic Ocean. If I go there about 5 o'clock in the morning when it is low tide, you will see all the licensed clam diggers there. If you know one of them, and they have met most of their quota for the day, they will give you a small bucket of clams. I always pay for them, even though they never ask. It is illegal to be giving them to me. They have to be processed and cleared for sale first. Mum is the word.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You're "Sea Food Pasta" sounds wonderful CWS..so much more than "Linguini and Clam Sauce".

Linguini and Clam Sauce is one of my "go to" recipes as I always keep what's needed for this simple recipe I use on hand.

canned clams & juice
white onion or shallot
bottled clam juice
fresh grated garlic
Sherry
fresh parsley
just a few hot pepper flake
olive oil and butter

(The clams themselves should be added to the mix at the last minute, just to heat through or they will be tough.)
Die hard Italians will tell you no cheese on any seafood. I say "Rubbish". It has become acceptable lately to put cheese on seafood. Even Lydia has done it. With a caveat, of course. Just don't overdo it. The reason is that the cheese overpowers the taste of the seafood. You use the cheese to create one more layer of flavor.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Oh yes, here is my very simple take:

1 tblsp olive oil extra virgin per person, plus 1 tblsp
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 pound dry Linguine Barilla Brand or other Italian Linguini
3/4 chopped parsley fresh
1 tblsp grated lemon zest
salt, blk pepper to taste ( I also add a bit of oregano )
White wine or choice or Vermouth
cayenne red pep flakes

Saúte the garlic and parsley in olive oil
Place clams or mussels in sauté pan
Add lemon zest, cayenne and wine or vermouth ( fortified white dry type with herbs )

Boil linguini in spaghetti pot until desired doneness

bon appetít
Margi.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It wasn't a true cream sauce--it was more of a binder. I don't know if that explains it--the sauce wasn't "white" but more translucent. My dad did comment on that--he thought it would be more like an Alfredo-type sauce.
Instead of a white (Béchamel) sauce you made Velouté ("velvety") sauce. The essential difference between the two is that each starts with a roux, but Béchamel sauce uses milk as the liquid while Velouté sauce uses stock as the liquid. The milk makes the Béchamel sauce whiter than the transluscent stock makes the Velouté sauce, although both are whitish due to the flour present in each.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

using the cream sauce is interesting. i'll have to try this. thanks cws.

i agree with kl that this is much more than linguini alla vongole. more like linguini del mar.

addie, what do you call steamers? piss clams, aka ipswich or soft shell clams? or do you mean a variety of littlenecks/cherrystones?
i love them all.

margi, your recipe looks good for the classic recipe, but are you sure 1 cup olive oil? that's a lot of oil to add to pasta. it reminds me more of a recipe for gambas al ajillo.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Bucky: My mistake, Sorry.

Sorry. It should be a tablespoon extra virgin olive oil per person for the Vongole ...

Gambas al ajillo, now ... a fave tapa or our´s ... when the Red Dénia, Alicante Mediterranean prawns are in season ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #18
Master Chef

I have been really, really craving linguini with "white" clam sauce (I really think it should be called green, because the versions I like don't have any dairy, just lots of herbs). I can get live cherrystones during the holiday season (remember, small midwestern town) but not any other time of year. Duh. No fresh herbs from the garden in December, plus we're so busy with other stuff that it wouldn't be worth my time to make a fancy dinner for two in that time period. Yeah, I can buy the canned stuff, and it does make a decent one. I keep meaning to talk to my butcher/fish guy and see if I can order live clams.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
using the cream sauce is interesting. i'll have to try this. thanks cws.

i agree with kl that this is much more than linguini alla vongole. more like linguini del mar.

addie, what do you call steamers? piss clams, aka ipswich or soft shell clams? or do you mean a variety of littlenecks/cherrystones?
i love them all.

margi, your recipe looks good for the classic recipe, but are you sure 1 cup olive oil? that's a lot of oil to add to pasta. it reminds me more of a recipe for gambas al ajillo.
Ipswich is the name of a town where they are harvested. They are harvested in a cove area and the water makes them so sweet. They are small steamers. Littlenecks. Other than sand, they are very clean clams.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I live a block from the Atlantic Ocean. If I go there about 5 o'clock in the morning when it is low tide, you will see all the licensed clam diggers there. If you know one of them, and they have met most of their quota for the day, they will give you a small bucket of clams. I always pay for them, even though they never ask. It is illegal to be giving them to me. They have to be processed and cleared for sale first. Mum is the word.
How do you purge them?

Tags
None