"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Craig, Hi, Good Evening ( it is 19.00 Hours here ),

Yes, how correct you are ! There are such ridiculous FDA regulations.

The EU ( European Union ) unlike years ago, has already confirmed Designation of Origin and Agricultural and expiration of product Safety measures of the products of the first 15 countries and now, 27 countries which are monitored more closely. They had let CHINA import toys with loose dysfunctional parts --- to E.U. countries ... NOW, that they have Toy Inspectors !

The two foods, Proscuitto di Parma and Jabugo Iberian Acorn Fed Ham are incredible products, we call them MANJARES = delicacies ...

I had said, I should import Italian and Spanish delicacies because, on my trips to the USA, I always bring a suitcase of goodies to friends and business people I work with. It was a joke. I do always bring my friends, great extra virgin olive oils.

Margi.
Have a nice Sunday.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
I see you can understand ... comfort foods ... I could use a real fabulous USA fried chicken recipe for my twin grandsons, they are five.

Do you use chickpea flour in frying fish or chicken ? In Spain and Italy it is quite common due to fact that it doesn┤t permit the oil to penetrate the fish or chicken.

Thanks for post. Have a Nice Sunday. Margi.
My grandmother used to just use all purpose flour salt and pepper. She would fry it in a cast iron dutch oven. I don't think she even knew what temperature the oil was at.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Margi I completely understand. I own a lot of cook books but being able to see how something is done really helps. I also understand about the combination of flavors that a person grows up with. I think we all base the foods we eat today on what we grew up with. I have had fried chicken all over the world but still base my taste upon my Grandmothers.

I want to tie up with someone who know how to use a pastry bag. I am so pastry bag inpaired. I need someone at my side. Visual!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Then you would be dealing with the stupid FDA rules where the hams are concerned. My understanding is the curing time for proscuitto must be longer than normal for the US market. Meaning the meat will be drier. I'm sure the Italians just laugh about our rules, seeing they have been doing it their way for hundreds of years. Although good, the product in country is far superior.
+1
Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #55
Executive Chef

SO DO THE SPANIARDS !

Margaux.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #56
Executive Chef

If the US airport inspectors discover your booty, you can wind up loosing quite a few buck worth of precious tasty food and ┐maybe even a fine?.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buckytom,

Razor clams are lengthy shaped with a lengthy shaped morsel of razor clam inside in Spain too and they are usually grilled in olive oil and served as a " ration ", a tapa that is purchased. They are quite popular during the summer months.

I prefer cherrystones however for eating on half shell raw with a drizzle of lemon and a touch of " piquant hot sauce " ... In Hoboken ! That famous Clam Bar there ...

Margi.
yes, that's what i was trying to describe to addie. there must be a regional difference here in the states about their name. they are hard to find here in the eastern u.s., but are delicious nonetheless.

have you ever had gooseneck barnacles (i'll have to look up the spanish name - perecebes or something like that). i've been wanting to try them.

lol, jpb. anyone remember how lucille ball smuggled home cheese from italy?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

We also have mussels here. They are very soft shell and with very little meat in them. You really have to eat a lot of them to make a meal out of them. Like the razor clam, the shell is soft. Nowadays, they are raised in beds hanging over the edge of a wharf.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
yes, that's what i was trying to describe to addie. there must be a regional difference here in the states about their name. they are hard to find here in the eastern u.s., but are delicious nonetheless.

have you ever had gooseneck barnacles (i'll have to look up the spanish name - perecebes or something like that). i've been wanting to try them.

OMG I almost wet myself just now thinking about it!! THEN the wine grape squishing scene flashed and I LOL. DD's think I am crazy.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
No, I don't. Please remind me.

Tags
None