Linguini with clam sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I make pasta about once every 2-3 months. While I was at my parents' house, my mom said she'd like linguini with clam sauce. I hadn't made it for years, but I managed to pull together a very nice dish:

3 servings of linguini (I make a circle with my index finger and thumb to measure)

2 cans (5 oz) minced clams
broth from the cans
1 can crabmeat
10-12 frozen, cooked shrimp
onion
garlic
fresh mushrooms
parsley
white wine
1 c homemade chicken stock
2 T butter
2 T flour

(I made a white sauce using the stock, butter and flour)
pepper
oregano
basil

I sauted the garlic, onion (green) in a bit of EVOO. I added the clams, etc. (except the parsley) clam broth, and simmered for about 5-10 minutes while I made the white sauce, added that, added a ladle of the water from the pasta, miixed the pasta in with the sauce and topped with the fresh, chopped parsley and freshly grated parm. cheese. It was very good. I wish I'd made more than 3 servings of pasta...I could've had a 2nd helping. I served it with a simple salad and garlic bread.

I have never had it with a cream sauce. And I don't know if you can get it where you are at, but I always add a couple of bottles of clam juice along with the broth from the can of calms.. You have to be careful with it though. There is usually a tiny bit of sand at the bottom of the bottle. :yum:

I have never had it with a cream sauce. And I don't know if you can get it where you are at, but I always add a couple of bottles of clam juice along with the broth from the can of calms.. You have to be careful with it though. There is usually a tiny bit of sand at the bottom of the bottle. :yum:
I couldn't find clam juice at the commissary, so I improvised with the "juice" from the cans in which the clams were packed. It wasn't a true cream sauce--it was more of a binder. I don't know if that explains it--the sauce wasn't "white" but more translucent. My dad did comment on that--he thought it would be more like an Alfredo-type sauce. I have used bottled clam juice in the past and strained it through a coffee filter to get rid of any grit.

I also like to use canned baby clams. It comes in a 10 oz. can and costs about the same as one 5 oz. can of minced clams.

Of course, I usually get greedy and use both kinds, then I get some oysters too and end up making oyster stew.

Last edited:
When they are in season, I like to buy a bag of steamers and cook them myself. The liquor is so intense. :yum:

@ Addie: How about some fresh clams on half shell ?

Addie,

How about some fresh ones on the half shell with a drizzle of lemon, a token of hot tomato salsa and a chilled white wine ( or beer ) ?

Another lovely dish, can be some Baked Clams ...

Clams clams clams ... yes ...

Linguini Vongole, clams with linguini, garlic and parsley is always quite lovely too ---

In Spain, it is Mussel season, and them too ...

Thanks for interesting subject on post.

Margi.

Last edited:
You're "Sea Food Pasta" sounds wonderful CWS..so much more than "Linguini and Clam Sauce".

Linguini and Clam Sauce is one of my "go to" recipes as I always keep what's needed for this simple recipe I use on hand.

canned clams & juice
white onion or shallot
bottled clam juice
fresh grated garlic
Sherry
fresh parsley
just a few hot pepper flake
olive oil and butter

(The clams themselves should be added to the mix at the last minute, just to heat through or they will be tough.)

Last edited:
I live a block from the Atlantic Ocean. If I go there about 5 o'clock in the morning when it is low tide, you will see all the licensed clam diggers there. If you know one of them, and they have met most of their quota for the day, they will give you a small bucket of clams. I always pay for them, even though they never ask. It is illegal to be giving them to me. They have to be processed and cleared for sale first. Mum is the word. :cool:

You're "Sea Food Pasta" sounds wonderful CWS..so much more than "Linguini and Clam Sauce".

Linguini and Clam Sauce is one of my "go to" recipes as I always keep what's needed for this simple recipe I use on hand.

canned clams & juice
white onion or shallot
bottled clam juice
fresh grated garlic
Sherry
fresh parsley
just a few hot pepper flake
olive oil and butter

(The clams themselves should be added to the mix at the last minute, just to heat through or they will be tough.)

Die hard Italians will tell you no cheese on any seafood. I say "Rubbish". It has become acceptable lately to put cheese on seafood. Even Lydia has done it. With a caveat, of course. Just don't overdo it. The reason is that the cheese overpowers the taste of the seafood. You use the cheese to create one more layer of flavor. :yum:

Oh yes, here is my very simple take:

1 tblsp olive oil extra virgin per person, plus 1 tblsp
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 pound dry Linguine Barilla Brand or other Italian Linguini
3/4 chopped parsley fresh
1 tblsp grated lemon zest
salt, blk pepper to taste ( I also add a bit of oregano )
White wine or choice or Vermouth
cayenne red pep flakes

Saúte the garlic and parsley in olive oil
Place clams or mussels in sauté pan
Add lemon zest, cayenne and wine or vermouth ( fortified white dry type with herbs )

Boil linguini in spaghetti pot until desired doneness

bon appetít
Margi.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a true cream sauce--it was more of a binder. I don't know if that explains it--the sauce wasn't "white" but more translucent. My dad did comment on that--he thought it would be more like an Alfredo-type sauce.

Instead of a white (Béchamel) sauce you made Velouté ("velvety") sauce. The essential difference between the two is that each starts with a roux, but Béchamel sauce uses milk as the liquid while Velouté sauce uses stock as the liquid. The milk makes the Béchamel sauce whiter than the transluscent stock makes the Velouté sauce, although both are whitish due to the flour present in each.

using the cream sauce is interesting. i'll have to try this. thanks cws.

i agree with kl that this is much more than linguini alla vongole. more like linguini del mar.

addie, what do you call steamers? piss clams, aka ipswich or soft shell clams? or do you mean a variety of littlenecks/cherrystones?
i love them all.

margi, your recipe looks good for the classic recipe, but are you sure 1 cup olive oil? that's a lot of oil to add to pasta. it reminds me more of a recipe for gambas al ajillo.

Last edited:
Bucky: My mistake, Sorry.

Sorry. It should be a tablespoon extra virgin olive oil per person for the Vongole ...

Gambas al ajillo, now ... a fave tapa or our´s ... when the Red Dénia, Alicante Mediterranean prawns are in season ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

I have been really, really craving linguini with "white" clam sauce (I really think it should be called green, because the versions I like don't have any dairy, just lots of herbs). I can get live cherrystones during the holiday season (remember, small midwestern town) but not any other time of year. Duh. No fresh herbs from the garden in December, plus we're so busy with other stuff that it wouldn't be worth my time to make a fancy dinner for two in that time period. Yeah, I can buy the canned stuff, and it does make a decent one. I keep meaning to talk to my butcher/fish guy and see if I can order live clams.

using the cream sauce is interesting. i'll have to try this. thanks cws.

i agree with kl that this is much more than linguini alla vongole. more like linguini del mar.

addie, what do you call steamers? piss clams, aka ipswich or soft shell clams? or do you mean a variety of littlenecks/cherrystones?
i love them all.

margi, your recipe looks good for the classic recipe, but are you sure 1 cup olive oil? that's a lot of oil to add to pasta. it reminds me more of a recipe for gambas al ajillo.

Ipswich is the name of a town where they are harvested. They are harvested in a cove area and the water makes them so sweet. They are small steamers. Littlenecks. Other than sand, they are very clean clams. :yum:

I live a block from the Atlantic Ocean. If I go there about 5 o'clock in the morning when it is low tide, you will see all the licensed clam diggers there. If you know one of them, and they have met most of their quota for the day, they will give you a small bucket of clams. I always pay for them, even though they never ask. It is illegal to be giving them to me. They have to be processed and cleared for sale first. Mum is the word. :cool:

How do you purge them?

Back
Top Bottom