Linguini with Shrimp Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Linguine with Shrimp Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, split
1 lb. shrimp, cut in small pieces
1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
or 1/2 cup clam juice
dash red pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano
salt & pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Heat oil and butter in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute
until golden. Remove garlic.
Add shrimp, clam juice, wine, spices, and lemon juice. Simmer 5
minutes over low heat. Add parsley and stir. Serve over linguine.

**Originally posted by Filus

Recipe Questions

Is the shrimp supposed to be raw or cooked?
How much linguine can be used with this recipe?
This looks like a great one! I have all the ingredients, it looks easy, & it's a new way to make pasta for the cyclist husband. Thank you for posting! :)
Corinne

Corinne said:
Is the shrimp supposed to be raw or cooked?
How much linguine can be used with this recipe?
This looks like a great one! I have all the ingredients, it looks easy, & it's a new way to make pasta for the cyclist husband. Thank you for posting! :)
Corinne

Hi, Corinne. Since the shrimp has to be cooked for 5 minutes in the recipe most likely it is raw shrimp. I once read somwhere that one serving of pasta is roughly 2 oz. dried. So, depending on the # of people you are serving that is how much pasta to make. It looks to me that this recipe could serve at least 4 people. So, I would use a 1/2 lb. dried pasta.

SC:)

This sounds really good Elf......def. cutting and pasting it. I think I'll use those little salad shrimp with it.Thanks :)

How much a serving size is depends on if you're serving the pasta as a part of a larger meal which will have a second course - or if it is the meal. In the first case 2-oz dried pasta will give you a serving size about the size of a tennis ball ... as an entre - figure on 4-oz per person (4 servings per pound). If you eat pasta the way I do - 1-lb = 2 servings.

If the linguine is dressed in the Italian style - just enough to coat the pasta - I would guess this is just about right for 1-lb of pasta.

Oh, dear, this is almost what I do with clams when I can get my hands on them (once or twice a year). Now, I have a question. I can never order linguini with clam sauce in restaurants. It literally goes straight through me. And I love it so. So, when I do find clams, I make it at home for us. I never, ever have this problem at home. NOW ... what are restaurants doing different, or is it all in my head (or bowels)?

Claire, fresh seafood from restaurants always does that to me, too. I don't know what it is...it doesn't happen when I cook it at home.
Last time we vacationed in Florida, I went through a whole bottle of Pepto Bismol. :sick: I wasn't about to miss out on all that good seafood, though.

Back
Top Bottom