"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierogi Princess View Post
Sir Loin,

I have been looking all over for tomato paste in the tube, where did you find it??
Strangely enough, I can find it at one of the Von's (Safeway) within a mile of my house, but not at the other Von's that's within a mile in the other direction. I've also purchased it at Cost Plus World Market if you have one of those nearby.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
At least where I shop, paste in a tube is much more expensive than canned paste. The cost of convenience.

I seldom use an entire can of paste so I spoon the remainder in tablespoonfuls onto a plate and freeze them. Then I pop them into a freezer bag for future use.
DANG ANDY M. YOU BLOW ME AWAY, I assumed the tub would be pretty expensive, but could never find it to see how bad the price was. But, freezing it by the table spoonful - DUGH, I never thought of that. What a great idea - again!!! I usually put it in a plastic container in the frig until it grows mold and then throw it away. I have some in there right now that is only a week old, off to the freezer with it.

Thank once again for your expertise.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Strangely enough, I can find it at one of the Von's (Safeway) within a mile of my house, but not at the other Von's that's within a mile in the other direction. I've also purchased it at Cost Plus World Market if you have one of those nearby.
Thank you Sir...
Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Luca 2 miles from where I live is a village with a large population of Italians. They arrived in the 20s to work in the brick factory.
A good school friends family 50 yrs ago fed me lasagne for the first time, she then showed my Mum how to make it. The method and recipe is very similar to yours.
My friends father was Welsh his Mum was Italian.The usual Sunday lunch then was Roast beef so monday dinner in our house would be Shep/Pie using the minced leftover beef in Franco's it would be Lasagne. His Mum would make the ragu using the minced leftover beef.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Luca 2 miles from where I live is a village with a large population of Italians. They arrived in the 20s to work in the brick factory.
A good school friends family 50 yrs ago fed me lasagne for the first time, she then showed my Mum how to make it. The method and recipe is very similar to yours.
My friends father was Welsh his Mum was Italian.The usual Sunday lunch then was Roast beef so monday dinner in our house would be Shep/Pie using the minced leftover beef in Franco's it would be Lasagne. His Mum would make the ragu using the minced leftover beef.
Bolas, I think there are more Italians outside of Italy than here in the homeland!
This is indeed a very "family" recipe, and maybe an old style one, but I like it very much, because it uses a few ingredients (I HATE recipes with a list of ingredients that looks like those checklist to fly a space shuttle...) but it's very tasty, in my humble and greedy opinion.
And let me know if there's some good rugby player with an Italian name around there, we can make a good use of them in our national team...

Ciao, Luca
Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Australia has a very large Italian population, which is why I can't understand why their wines really suck!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Australia has a very large Italian population, which is why I can't understand why their wines really suck!
And I wonder: can they make a good lasagna?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
And I wonder: can they make a good lasagna?
I don't know if they can or not, but if they don't, and you flush it down the garbage disposal, it goes around in the opposite direction!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
I don't know if they can or not, but if they don't, and you flush it down the garbage disposal, it goes around in the opposite direction!
A new recipe: the Down Under Espresso Lasagna!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
I liked Aussie women and their beer. Their current cricket team is nearly as bad as the Italian Rugby team

Tags
easy, lasagna, meat, recipe

Luca’s meat lasagna easy recipe – Franca’s style I’m proposing you here, my precious guests, the lasagna recipe as “tuned” by my late mother-in-law Franca. Her family moved from Genoa to the Emilia region during the Second World War, to flee the Allied bombing. And, as you may know, Emilia is the homeland of lasagna (and tortellini, tagliatelle, parmigiano, lambrusco, balsamic vinegar, mortadella, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, and so on and so forth…). This recipe uses an overly simple [I]ragů[/I], which is the meat and tomato sauce as we call it in Italy (the Bolognese sauce, for the rest of the known world). It is not the classic recipe, the canonical “Lasagne alla Bolognese”, but since it was good for my mother-in-law, it MUST be good enough for you and me… [COLOR="Green"]Serves 4 (but you have to try them to be sure, since eating is what makes your appetite grow…) 500 g lasagna (15 sheets/noodles) | 400 g minced beef (with some fat, not too lean) | 400 g tomato sauce | 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato | 1 tablespoon olive oil | salt | 500 g bechamel | 150 g grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese [/COLOR] [B]Let’s go with our lasagna![/B] In a nutshell, you have to prepare the sauce, prepare the pasta, assemble everything and bake the final mix. It’s better to prepare the sauce first, maybe a day before the lasagna if you can, then proceed with the lasagna, the mixing and the baking. [B](1) --[/B] Let’s start from the meat sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan, then add the meat. Work the meat with a wooden spoon/spatula; you have to separate the bits of minced meat so that they cook appropriately. Do not mince the meat with a kitchen aid; it must be somewhat coarse, not too fine. Add some salt, and then cook the meat until brown. This stage may take around 10/15 minutes.[B] -- (2) -- [/B]Add the tomato sauce and the concentrated tomato to the pan, mix well, then cook the sauce on low fire for at least 60 minutes, checking it every now and them to make sure it does not boil or become too dry. Add salt to your taste, but do not overdo. Before proceeding to the next step, the [I]ragů[/I] (meat sauce) must cool down.[B] -- (3) -- [/B]Put the [I]ragů[/I] in a large bowl, add the bechamel and mix well. Now the meat sauce filling for the lasagna is ready. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/40791-albums377-picture3007.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [B](4) -- [/B]Let’s prepare the lasagna. I use flat sheets of pasta (in Italy I never found the “curly” noodles), which look easier to combine with the rest of the food, IMHO, than the curly version. Even if I use “no boiling” lasagna sheets, I still boil them, following Franca’s example. There are three reasons: I find that they cook better with the rest of the ingredients, I can easily cut them to fit the size of my casserole, avoiding them to overlap each other and I don’t need to add an excessive amount of bechamel to make the moist.[B] -- (5) -- [/B]Put a pot of water to the boil, then put a lasagna sheet in the boiling water, wait less than a minute, then take it away ant put it on a canvas. Repeat the process with all the pasta. [B](6) -- [/B]Now comes the final assembly. Take a casserole; with the quantities shown above for this recipe, I used a 26x20x5.5 cm casserole (the one shown in the pictures). I never make lasagna “piles” taller than 6 cm, I’m not sure of the final result.[B] -- (7) -- [/B]Spread a little layer of sauce on the bottom of the casserole, then put a layer of lasagne. The lasagna sheets are cooked, so you can easily cut them (or break them by hands) to fit your casserole, without overlapping. After the lasagne, put the sauce, and then put the grated Parmigiano cheese. Repeat the procedure till the last layer of Parmigiano. TIP: Stay focused, because even the most seasoned cooks can forget a layer of Parmigiano! [CENTER][IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/40791-albums377-picture3005.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [B](8) -- [/B]When your lasagna casserole is ready, cover it with a sheet of tin foil and put it in the oven at 180/200 °C for about 50 minutes. Check it once in a while to see how it goes. Generally the lasagna will try to cheat you and stay almost unchanged for half an hour. Then it will undergo some sort of inner alchemic reaction and it will gradually get brown and crisp. After about 50 minutes, remove the tin foil and allow the top to become crisp, to give it a nice finish. [CENTER][IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/40791-albums377-picture3006.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] Wow, it’s a long journey, but it’s over now! :lol: You can bring the casserole to the table or prepare the dishes in the kitchen. The first time you make lasagna, my advice is to prepare the dishes in the kitchen, to avoid shrapneling your guest with spots of scorching pasta…... :cool: This recipe makes use of an extremely basic [I]ragů[/I], but I can assure you that it is really tasty! You can choose a good red wine with lasagna, but I believe that with this dish you can drink practically everything, from Mountain Dew to British cider. Buon appetito! [I]PS As always, many thanks to Gabriella for the photographs![/I] 3 stars 1 reviews