Luca’s Spaghetti with tomato, pancetta and vegs sauce – For Kathleen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm stuck. i can't get past your statement, luca, that you limit pasta serving size to 120 grams. what?? and then you seal the deal by including the main course dish to that size. what??! it's luca's recipe, it looks good, smells divine and tastes sooo goood--why impose such a draconian rule limiting the pasta so drastically? unless the paltry pasta serving is a low carb or caloric limitation, i cannot imagine why anyone would invoke a rule that would cut off a pleasurable meal midway through. luca, i know you are referring to a personal preference in this pasta serving size matter, but i am burning with curiosity to know the why of it. my pasta servings are ALWAYS at least twice the size of yours. i would feel positively deprived to sit down at a table where my portion of pasta was to be limited to the paltry amount you suggest, luca. don't be mad, luca, i just need to know WHY??!!!

Really? When I cook pasta for me and DH, I cook up 200-250 grams of pasta and that's plenty. My DH is a big man with a big appetite. That's with the pasta as the main course and a salad on the side.

Really? When I cook pasta for me and DH, I cook up 200-250 grams of pasta and that's plenty. My DH is a big man with a big appetite. That's with the pasta as the main course and a salad on the side.
Basta pasta por due!
I like my breads and pasta. When I was younger I was eating up to 200 grams of pasta. Now that I'm older (and wiser?), I've cut back to the 115 - 140 grams I used to eat when I was a teenager.

Last edited:

It's the same for the two of us, taxlady.
And congratulations for you Canadian Borg avatar! :LOL:

i'm stuck. i can't get past your statement, luca, that you limit pasta serving size to 120 grams. what?? and then you seal the deal by including the main course dish to that size. what??! it's luca's recipe, it looks good, smells divine and tastes sooo goood--why impose such a draconian rule limiting the pasta so drastically? unless the paltry pasta serving is a low carb or caloric limitation, i cannot imagine why anyone would invoke a rule that would cut off a pleasurable meal midway through. luca, i know you are referring to a personal preference in this pasta serving size matter, but i am burning with curiosity to know the why of it. my pasta servings are ALWAYS at least twice the size of yours. i would feel positively deprived to sit down at a table where my portion of pasta was to be limited to the paltry amount you suggest, luca. don't be mad, luca, i just need to know WHY??!!!

vitauta, I was born mad...

And gone are the days in which I could easily eat 1 pound of pasta...

However, I did some homework for you. Those are the calories of a dish of pasta (100 grams) with various typical Italian sauces:
- with pesto sauce > 760
- with amatriciana sauce > 750
- with carbonara sauce > 660
- with oil and garlic > 760

Ok, let's do some math with the following abysmally frugal example:

One pasta serving (100 grams pasta) > around 730 calories
33 cl coca-cola > 122 Cal
1 banana > 70 Cal
No bread, no appetizers, no pork rinds, no cheerios, no chocolate milk, no nothing.

The total is slightly more then 900 calories.

If your daily intake is around 2400 Cal, you have three meals of 800 Cal each. So, 900 is not so bad, for me.
Obviously you could need 4500 Cal a day, but it's not my case, with my ass glued to the PC chair all day (currently I'm eating around 1500 a day, well alive and kicking). Or you could choose to eat nothing during all day and have only a huge dinner, but I don't think it would be wise (or viable).
Finally, I like to eat WELL: it means that a smaller portion is fully satisfying for my mind, my belly and my spirit. Amen. :smartass:

i didn't really discover pasta until the late 1960s. "bucky", the italian owner of a hotel/tavern in our small town, began cooking up spaghetti and meatballs with his famous "green" sauce (that had been simmering for hours already) for scores of us famished young patrons. we got a small "taste" of what he would later serve formally for dinner at the hotel. each dinner was served up with full pound of past!! my eyes bulged at that, but i never did have the money to indulge in the full treatise. but the sight of that piled-high plate is one i've never forgotten--ahhhhh....today, i still can't seem to limit myself to one serving of pasta. memories die hard. that "green" sauce--the best i've ever tasted in life, lives on in my mind...it springs to life whenever i have a pasta meal, which is never limited to 120 grams. like the drug addict, i seem to be forever chasing the tail of the dragon. thankfully, not all my meals are pastas, and not everyone had the magical but addictive experience of tasting bucky's "green" sauce in their youth....luca, you and all the others are right and i am wrong in this matter of the proper serving size of pasta. my sincere apologies to all.... :)

I can perfectly understand you, vitauta!
Those memories are a true blessing. I can still remember the wonderful fragrance of my grandmothers' pasta, risotto and polenta, and sometimes I'm moved to tears when, in some restaurant, I eat something that has a similar taste...
And I'll be damned the day when I'll tell somebody that he's eating too much pasta! :LOL:

I can perfectly understand you, vitauta!
Those memories are a true blessing. I can still remember the wonderful fragrance of my grandmothers' pasta, risotto and polenta, and sometimes I'm moved to tears when, in some restaurant, I eat something that has a similar taste...
And I'll be damned the day when I'll tell somebody that he's eating too much pasta! :LOL:

your wonderful recipes, step-by-step food photography, along with your deliciously descriptive narratives should be collected and published, luca. your culinary gifts together with your warm, intimate style of communication could provide a lucrative source of income for you, imo. you have been our continental treasure ever since your arrival at dc. your frequent contributions of enticing home-style recipes have been enormously popular and much appreciated by your friends and fellow members of this dc forum....:):)

your wonderful recipes, step-by-step food photography, along with your deliciously descriptive narratives should be collected and published, luca. your culinary gifts together with your warm, intimate style of communication could provide a lucrative source of income for you, imo. you have been our continental treasure ever since your arrival at dc. your frequent contributions of enticing home-style recipes have been enormously popular and much appreciated by your friends and fellow members of this dc forum....:):)

Very well put Vitauta.

Very well put Vitauta.

Friends, thank you, grazie mille! :blush:

I really appreciate this.

I agree 100%!

@ Luca: Simplicity & Ease of Italian Treasures

Thanks for the post ... I am a Pasta & Pecorino Fiore Sardo fanatic ... And am always interested in a regional fare from Lombardia, as u know. My paternal grandmom was born in Milano.

I am very fond of 100% Sangiovese reds and Sardinian reds ... I had a Sardinian Port last October while in Sardinia - and it was to die for ... I am very fond of Prosecco too and buy it all the time here in Madrid.

M.C.

Ciao. Have great wkend,
Margi.

Thanks for the post ... I am a Pasta & Pecorino Fiore Sardo fanatic ...

The perfect ingredients for a sublime "cacio e pepe" pasta!

And am always interested in a regional fare from Lombardia, as u know. My paternal grandmom was born in Milano.

I am very fond of 100% Sangiovese reds and Sardinian reds ... I had a Sardinian Port last October while in Sardinia - and it was to die for ... I am very fond of Prosecco too and buy it all the time here in Madrid.

M.C.

Ciao. Have great wkend,
Margi.

I love Sangiovese, too, a straightforward red perfect for a tigelle and salami dinner :pig:
And I love prosecco, too: it's the only wine I order when I'm in the UK! :) While I learned to appreciate Cava white wines when I went to Barcellona.

Prosecco

@ Luca,

I love Prosecco sparkling wine ... always have some bottles on hand chilled just incase, we have guests ...

When it comes to whites, I prefer Prosecco to still white wines ... I also am very fond of Cava from Sant Sadurní D´Anoia - Barcelona ...

With reds, Sangiovese and / or a Spanish 100% Tempranillo from Ribera del Duero ... Have u had any Spanish wines ?

Which ones ?

Ciao. Margi.

Back
Top Bottom