"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound elbow macaroni

8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack

2 cups half-and-half

1 cup (8 ounces) Velveeta, cut into small cubes

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2-quart casserole.

Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.

Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

Nutritional information: 798 calories, 49.3 grams of fat, 28.6 grams saturated fat, 202 mg cholesterol, 786 mg sodium, 61.0 grams carbohydrates, 27.7 gra

Found this one on Oprah. She said she just loved this one. Does it sound good to you? Everybody has favorite of this. Does anyone just eat this alone or does it always have to be side dish? My family thinks we have to have meat otherwise not a meal. I don't agree. just having some kind of vegetable is necessary. This one has Velveeta in it too. Don't know how to substitute that.
The nutritional Info. is based on how many servings?

We like stewed tomatoes with baked mac & cheese.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:25 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I love all great cheeses from all over the world but I also like Velveeta in certain things it has a great melting quality and if you check out the ingredients there is nothing bad about it,it makes a great dip with Rotel and kids love it in a grilled cheese sandwich.It makes a decent mac & cheese and melts great in a cheese soup.
I would describe it as a mild cheddar .
If there was no cheese to be had I would be happy to at least have the Velveeta.I would prefer that over american cheese slicesany day.
Dang it! Now I want to make some Mac & Cheese but of course I will add some sharp cheddar and feta and maybe some Gruyere in with the Velveeta to jazz it up.
I just had a thought what about Brie & Mac?

Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 AM   #23
Head Chef

Velveeta is great and alot of folks who can't afford the fancy cheeses, even plain chedder use Velveeta.Velveeta melts easy and makes a great grilled cheese sand.The mac and cheese made with Velveeta is great. Add 1 lb. burger, chopped onion. Velveeta is great in egg dishes, potato dishes, with veggies and great on burgers.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Most cheddars here are quite inexpensive as they are bog-standard cheeses (although SOME cheddars, like Davidstow or Isle of Mull ARE expensive). Are you saying that the velveeta is even cheaper?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #25
Sous Chef

I don't know your definition of cheap, but a 2 pound block of velveeta (it also comes in a smaller package, but I'm not sure of the size) costs about $6.00 US I think. I work in a grocery store deli, so I walk past velveeta, but rarely buy it.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Velveeta is to cheese what grape juice is to wine = "Sorta kinda only different".
Perfect description, Michael. Velveeta - BLECH! BLECH! BLECH! (I think I can hear an artery clogging )

For Ro-tel: (Em, please don't say PSSST - Look Up Silly - There are recipes too.)

http://www.texmex.net/Rotel/main.htm

Scroll down for some recipes.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Does anyone just eat this alone or does it always have to be side dish? My family thinks we have to have meat otherwise not a meal. I don't agree. just having some kind of vegetable is necessary.
I like mac n cheese both as a side or accompaniment to meat and a veggie too, ITK.

Looking at the ro-tel site reminded me of a dish I'd like to try (with real crab or shrimp). Could try this as a side with mac 'n cheese.

Zesty Crab Cakes

We may not have many crabs in the southwest, but we do know how make cakes with a kick.
Cooking Method: Saute
Prep Time: 20
Cooking Time: 10-20 minutes

Makes: 6 servings
Ingredients

DIPPING SAUCE:
16 ounces prepared Ranch dressing
1 can (10 ounces) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies

CRAB CAKES:
1 package (8 ounces) Louis Kemp® Crab Delights, flake style
1 can (10 ounces) Ro*Tel® Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, drained
1 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
PAM® Olive Oil No-Stick Cooking Spray
  1. Combine dressing and tomatoes; blend well. Set aside. Place Crab Delights into bowl of food processor fit with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped; transfer to a medium bowl.
  2. Add tomatoes, 2/3 cup bread crumbs, mayonnaise, egg, and Worcestershire sauce into seafood. Mix well; form mixture into 6 equal patties.
  3. Pour remaining bread crumbs into shallow bowl. Coat each patty with bread crumbs on both sides. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-low heat about 2 minutes. Add patties; cook each side about 4 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Serve with dipping sauce. Refrigerate leftover sauce.
Serving Suggestions

The dipping sauce is great as a dressing for taco salads; the recipe works equally well with no fat or full fat dressing.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:09 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrfectlydevine
I don't know your definition of cheap, but a 2 pound block of velveeta (it also comes in a smaller package, but I'm not sure of the size) costs about $6.00 US I think. I work in a grocery store deli, so I walk past velveeta, but rarely buy it.
Taking Davidstow cheddar as an example (a 'good' brand, actually made in the Cheddar area of England) - I looked at the price I paid on Saturday and it was approx 10 pounds sterling (£) per kilo - 2.2 lb.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #29
Head Chef

Velveeta use to sell for as high as $5.99 for 28ozs. It now is $3.99 when on sale.Standerd price here is $4.99. Just had a egg sand. with melted velveeta on top,Was good.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:13 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Hungry

Everytime I read here I get hungry. Guess what? I don't have any Velveeta. Is this normal? I always have it on hand for just an occassion like this, reading recipes that make me want to try them. Thanks. I do like Ro Tel tomatoes. They seem better than rest.

Tags
None