"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Mac & Cheese

We usually have the blue box or velvetta shells & cheese. I made some homemade (but used spagetti, no elbows) and made it w/a roux blonde sauce or what ever it is called. Now I have elbow mac.

My questions:

Make the roux kind or the "custard" kind(w/egg)?

What is your fav recipe for mac & cheese?

Make'n this for a 14yr old son and 11yr old daughter, and wife(she is 18 joke)

We have the shredded cheese, I also have a small pie slice of brie(tried it and wasn't to crazy about it) and a mozz ball.

Just look'n for ideas and how you all do it.

Thanks

Old 04-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Head Chef

Well Big Al it really depends on the texture you want your m&c to have.. I always bake my with buttered breadcrumbs on the top, with one exception, and that is when I make it for the grandbabies. I then make it with a roux because they are used to the blue box. I also use the baby penne, I find it holds together well when reheating...

Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Master Chef

Here's my own favorite super-duper version of mac & cheese. Comes out different every time depending on what cheeses I use, but is always DELICIOUS. Sometimes I'll add some sauteed ground turkey or diced turkey ham to it; sometimes some briefly blanched chopped broccoli. - Mac & cheese is extremely easy-to-adapt stuff & definitely on the "comfort food of the Gods" list!

BREEZY MULTI-CHEESE MACARONI AU GRATIN
(adapted from 365 Ways To Cook Vegetarian)

1 pound elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
2-1/2 cups milk

Approx. a half a pound to of a pound of a combination of grated or crumbled cheeses (gorgonzola, cheddar, gouda – smoked or regular, gruyere, etc., etc. – pretty much any crumbly cheese that suits your fancy. I frequently make this recipe with all sorts of odds & ends of grateable cheeses I have on hand.)
Approx. 4-6 ounces grated Mozzarella cheese
Approx. 4-6 ounces grated Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese
Approx. 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 egg, lightly beaten

Dried seasoned breadcrumbs (optional)
Hot paprika, or a combination of regular paprika & a little ground cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350. In a large pasta pot, cook macaroni until tender but still firm, according to package directions. Drain well & return to pasta pot, tossing gently with 2 tablespoons butter. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour & cook, whisking, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk & bring “just” to a boil, still whisking, until sauce is thick & smooth, 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheeses - EXCEPT for Mozzarella & Parmesan - until they begin to melt, about 2-3 minutes. Season with nutmeg & black pepper to taste.

Add cheese sauce to cooked pasta. Add & gently stir in beaten egg, Mozzarella, & Parmesan cheeses. Transfer to a lightly oiled 9” x 13" or similar-size baking dish. Sprinkle with hot paprika or regular paprika & cayenne pepper & a little dry seasoned breadcrumbs if desired.

Bake 35-40 minutes, or until casserole is bubbling & top is nice & brown.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Thanks Sharon! I gotta kinda copy the blue box, texture wise. I'll go w/the roux again but maybe thinner. Might add broccoli in w/it.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Thanks Sharon! I gotta kinda copy the blue box, texture wise. I'll go w/the roux again but maybe thinner. Might add broccoli in w/it.

Thanks!
If you're trying to copy the blue box, stick with elbows and skip the broccoli. Especially if you want them to eat it.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you're trying to copy the blue box, stick with elbows and skip the broccoli. Especially if you want them to eat it.
Yes I know, the penne is for my baked version... I also add a little tumeric to make it the day glow orange it is!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks for the recipe, BC! Might have to give it a try, as soon as I can find some of those cheeses out here.

Andy, the kids love broccoli and cheese. I know they'd like it or maybe w/some corn. Or could have it steamed on the side and they can add it if they want. I better go that route. I better take your advise to make sure. Thanks Andy!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Mac and cheese here is pretty close. We sub about a 1/2-3/4 cup of sour cream for one cup of the milk, 1 can Campbell's condensed cheese soup, undiluted (I know....but it is mighty good in this dish.). and 1 tsp of dry mustard instead of the nutmeg.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
When I was a kid, and even some past that, I would eat the Kraft Dinner, but I always preferred the REAL mac and cheese -- that is to say the baked version made with bechamel that has cheese melted into it (btw, that's Mornay Sauce) and toasted, buttered breadcrumbs on top.

My mom and my Aunt Eleanor both were creators of what I still consider the definitive mac and cheese.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks, Chef. I could not remember the name of the white sauce. When I did the spagetti one I put crushed cheese fish crackers, you know those fish shaped cheesy crackers. Got that from some southern lady chef on food network, the butter queen.

I like the nacho cheese idea Hoot had, not his words but it's what I think we have in the pantry and close enough.

Tags
None