"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How to you make your mac and cheese?
I bake mine all of the time 5 35.71%
I prefer stove top mac and cheese 3 21.43%
Either/or. Depends on my mood 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, I don't remember eating Mac & Cheese as a kid. I don't think my mom ever made it as she was always very aware of calories. I made the box kind for my kids when the two of us would have a going out for dinner date nite, but until I joined DC, I'd bet I only made it from scratch once or twice. I've made it a few times in the last 10 yrs, but not enough to form a real opinion. I'm not even really sure I like how rich and gooey it is. Alfredo pasta isn't for me at all.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
Master Chef

I voted "bake it in the oven", because after I prepare mac and cheese stove top and mix everything together, it goes into a casserole dish in the oven to heat through and brown the bread crumb topping. I'm not a big fan of crunchy bits in mac and cheese.

I make mac and cheese about once a year, and for the past several years I've been using a blend of about one third each of cheddar, Monterey jack, and smoked gouda. I love that combo. Ever since I discovered the lovely taste of a little smoked gouda in mac and cheese, I won't even make it unless I have some. I make it a little on the gooey side, as the sauce soaks in and I don't like a dry mac and cheese.

Usually it's served as a side with ham and broccoli or asparagus, so I don't add anything else to it.

Haha....I found myself going on and on..

Old 02-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Browsing through mac and cheese recipes on google, I came across one in which the macaroni is cooked in milk! Is this weird?

Here’s the link to the recipe
I would say no as you can find many more recipes online that use milk in a mac and chese.

I would like to say that past few times I have made mac and cheese I have done it on the stovetop with a boiling mix of milk and water.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
I would say no as you can find many more recipes online that use milk in a mac and chese.

I would like to say that past few times I have made mac and cheese I have done it on the stovetop with a boiling mix of milk and water.
But do you boil the pasta in the milk? Almost every recipe I’ve seen; you boil the pasta according to package directions, that is, in boiling salted water. Then you make your bechamel, add cheese to it, and finally add the cooked pasta.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #15
Master Chef

My mom always baked her mac and cheese but I do mine on the stovetop. I started to make my own when the kids were little and I realized how awful the Kraft box mac and cheese was. I would often start with that boxed dinner but added some cream cheese to it. From there it was an easy leap to start with my own macaroni. Now I use elbow macaroni, cream cheese, some Velveeta, cheddar, Swiss, etc. I'll use whatever cheese I have besides the cream cheese and Velveeta. This is the only dish I use Velveeta in but without it this mac and cheese is not as creamy. I don't use flour. I just add the cheeses to buttered noodles and some milk.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I made Macaroni and Cheese only once,
and I used this recipe

Back in the day, I loved watching Martha and when I saw
her make this version of Mac `N Cheese, I had to try it.

At the time, we were living in Hawaii and it wasn't
exactly easy to get Sharp White Cheddar Cheese,
whole Nutmeg nor Gruyère Cheese.
I can't remember now where I got all of ingredients,
but I did, made the dish (the entire recipe which feeds 12!)
I was so excited!
I set it down on the table along with a salad for my family of four,
AND NO ONE LIKED IT!!!
Except for doggie-boy-Vito and me
Old 02-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Kgirl, I'm wondering if you're hubby gave it a try since he hates anything 'creamy', right?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I may be the only one I know who doesn't care for homemade mac'n cheese. As a kid, I liked the Canadian boxed Kraft Dinner, but didn't like the US version.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Kgirl, I'm wondering if you're hubby gave it a try since he hates anything 'creamy', right?
K-L, actually, yes DH did try ONE bite,
moved his plate to the side, pulled his salad plate
in front of himself and asked for more,
SALAD!!
I do have to give him credit that he didn't spit
the Mac `N Cheese out into his napkin,
all with no whining
Old 02-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I may be the only one I know who doesn't care for homemade mac'n cheese. As a kid, I liked the Canadian boxed Kraft Dinner, but didn't like the US version.

Dawg, I had no idea there where two types of Kraft Mac`N Cheese,
I'll look for that when we drive north, on to Alaska

Tags
cheese, oven, recipe, stove

Mac & Cheese: oven? or stovetop? The "[URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/4-levels-of-mac-and-cheese-amateur-to-food-scientist-epicurious-101723.html#post1585380"][B]4 Levels of Mac and Cheese[/B][/URL]" thread got me to thinking of the various versions I've made over the years. Except for the early "Kraft Dinner" version, all of my mac and cheese dishes have been baked in the oven. Except for one. About a dozen years ago, back when I was doing plays at the local community theatre, we had a discussion about mac-and-cheese. I had recently seen an article about the excellent stove top one that Zingermans Roadside Deli (Ann Arbor, MI) would make. If it was that good, I had to make it! Himself and I even drove up to [URL="http://www.graftonvillagecheese.com/"]Grafton Village Cheese[/URL], a two-and-a-half-hour trip each way from our house, to get the requisite two-year-old raw milk cheddar. Spent a ton of time lovingly preparing all of the ingredients (or at least it seemed that way), cooked it according to the recipe, and plated it. Took one look at the spreading blob on the plate and said "this is special?". :lol: The milks separated from the cheese, giving it a greasy mouth feel. The sauce really didn't cling to the pasta. It was meh. However, if you're interested in trying the Zingerman recipe, you can find it here: [URL="https://www.metroparent.com/daily/food-home/kid-friendly-recipes/macaroni-cheese-recipe-zingermans/"][B]Zingerman's Mac and Cheese Recipe[/B][/URL] Do you make your mac & cheese in the oven or on the stove top? 3 stars 1 reviews