"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How to you make your mac and cheese?
I bake mine all of the time 5 35.71%
I prefer stove top mac and cheese 3 21.43%
Either/or. Depends on my mood 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I may be the only one I know who doesn't care for homemade mac'n cheese. As a kid, I liked the Canadian boxed Kraft Dinner, but didn't like the US version.
You aren't the only one who doesn't care for homemade mac 'n cheese. I don't know if I like the boxed stuff. I have never tried it because I hate the way it smells.

And for those who don't live in Canada, we call the boxed stuff from Kraft, "KD" or "Kraft Dinner".

Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
There should have been an choice in the poll for "don't eat or don't like mac 'n cheese".

Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There should have been an choice in the poll for "don't eat or don't like mac 'n cheese".
+1...

Ross
Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #24
Executive Chef

I like it, but I don't make it often. I like it either way if it's got enough sauce, but I've had it baked where the sauce mostly disappears and it comes out rather dry. My wife prefers it that way, so as a result we rarely have it.

I like it mostly done on the stove top, then flashed at high heat in the oven just long enough to make the panko and the edges golden brown, but the main body is still nice and creamy and cheesy. I've had the Mac 'n Cheese side dish at Red Robin, and they do it really well, in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It probably never occurred to her that someone doesn't like mac 'n cheese
Old 02-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I like it, but I don't make it often. I like it either way if it's got enough sauce, but I've had it baked where the sauce mostly disappears and it comes out rather dry. My wife prefers it that way, so as a result we rarely have it.

I like it mostly done on the stove top, then flashed at high heat in the oven just long enough to make the panko and the edges golden brown, but the main body is still nice and creamy and cheesy. I've had the Mac 'n Cheese side dish at Red Robin, and they do it really well, in my opinion.
^^ This, except that DH likes it the same way I do.

Anyone ever make jalapeño mac 'n cheese? There's a restaurant near us that does it really well.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
But do you boil the pasta in the milk? Almost every recipe I’ve seen; you boil the pasta according to package directions, that is, in boiling salted water. Then you make your bechamel, add cheese to it, and finally add the cooked pasta.
We have like thousands of ways to do mac and cheese and with the stovetop recipe I use uses a boiling mixture of Milk and water and boil the pasta in it. THEN mix in one cheese over the heat and the other off. EASY PEASY...

And we can also fully argue HOW many cheeses is TOOOOOO many cheeses for a mac and cheese.

This one has measly ten in it though.
http://dariuscooks.tv/10-cheese-mac-cheese/
Old 02-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

DRY mac and cheese
Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
WHAT
Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Are you one of them thar commies?

CD

Tags
cheese, oven, recipe, stove

Mac & Cheese: oven? or stovetop? The "[URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/4-levels-of-mac-and-cheese-amateur-to-food-scientist-epicurious-101723.html#post1585380"][B]4 Levels of Mac and Cheese[/B][/URL]" thread got me to thinking of the various versions I've made over the years. Except for the early "Kraft Dinner" version, all of my mac and cheese dishes have been baked in the oven. Except for one. About a dozen years ago, back when I was doing plays at the local community theatre, we had a discussion about mac-and-cheese. I had recently seen an article about the excellent stove top one that Zingermans Roadside Deli (Ann Arbor, MI) would make. If it was that good, I had to make it! Himself and I even drove up to [URL="http://www.graftonvillagecheese.com/"]Grafton Village Cheese[/URL], a two-and-a-half-hour trip each way from our house, to get the requisite two-year-old raw milk cheddar. Spent a ton of time lovingly preparing all of the ingredients (or at least it seemed that way), cooked it according to the recipe, and plated it. Took one look at the spreading blob on the plate and said "this is special?". :lol: The milks separated from the cheese, giving it a greasy mouth feel. The sauce really didn't cling to the pasta. It was meh. However, if you're interested in trying the Zingerman recipe, you can find it here: [URL="https://www.metroparent.com/daily/food-home/kid-friendly-recipes/macaroni-cheese-recipe-zingermans/"][B]Zingerman's Mac and Cheese Recipe[/B][/URL] Do you make your mac & cheese in the oven or on the stove top? 3 stars 1 reviews