Mac & Cheese: oven? or stovetop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How to you make your mac and cheese?

• I bake mine all of the time

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I prefer stove top mac and cheese

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Either/or. Depends on my mood

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
I may be the only one I know who doesn't care for homemade mac'n cheese. As a kid, I liked the Canadian boxed Kraft Dinner, but didn't like the US version.
You aren't the only one who doesn't care for homemade mac 'n cheese. I don't know if I like the boxed stuff. I have never tried it because I hate the way it smells.

And for those who don't live in Canada, we call the boxed stuff from Kraft, "KD" or "Kraft Dinner".

I like it, but I don't make it often. I like it either way if it's got enough sauce, but I've had it baked where the sauce mostly disappears and it comes out rather dry. My wife prefers it that way, so as a result we rarely have it.

I like it mostly done on the stove top, then flashed at high heat in the oven just long enough to make the panko and the edges golden brown, but the main body is still nice and creamy and cheesy. I've had the Mac 'n Cheese side dish at Red Robin, and they do it really well, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I like it, but I don't make it often. I like it either way if it's got enough sauce, but I've had it baked where the sauce mostly disappears and it comes out rather dry. My wife prefers it that way, so as a result we rarely have it.

I like it mostly done on the stove top, then flashed at high heat in the oven just long enough to make the panko and the edges golden brown, but the main body is still nice and creamy and cheesy. I've had the Mac 'n Cheese side dish at Red Robin, and they do it really well, in my opinion.
^^ This, except that DH likes it the same way I do.

Anyone ever make jalapeño mac 'n cheese? There's a restaurant near us that does it really well.

But do you boil the pasta in the milk? Almost every recipe I’ve seen; you boil the pasta according to package directions, that is, in boiling salted water. Then you make your bechamel, add cheese to it, and finally add the cooked pasta.

We have like thousands of ways to do mac and cheese and with the stovetop recipe I use uses a boiling mixture of Milk and water and boil the pasta in it. THEN mix in one cheese over the heat and the other off. EASY PEASY...

And we can also fully argue HOW many cheeses is TOOOOOO many cheeses for a mac and cheese.

This one has measly ten in it though.
http://dariuscooks.tv/10-cheese-mac-cheese/

DRY mac and cheese:wacko::mad::(:evil::censored::furious:

Are you one of them thar commies? :ohmy::ermm::rolleyes:

CD
Depends on your definition of commie. :mrgreen:

I grew up with Scandinavian parents who had never heard of mac 'n cheese. I never had it at home. I never liked the smell of it at anyone else's house, so I never tried it until I was an adult.

Depends on your definition of commie. :mrgreen:

I grew up with Scandinavian parents who had never heard of mac 'n cheese. I never had it at home. I never liked the smell of it at anyone else's house, so I never tried it until I was an adult.

Mac-n-cheese is an American classic, and by American, I mean the United States of America. I know Canada is also "American." Mac-n-cheese is as "American" as hot dogs and apple pie. It is one of few foods that kids go nuts for, and adults actually love, too.

Of course, kids love the boxed Kraft mac-n-cheese. Adults in the US are increasingly drawn to the "adult" mac-n-cheese being offered at chef-driven restaurants. I outgrew the boxed stuff (especially after living off that and ramen toward the end of every semester as a college student).

So, I am a sucker for "gourmet" mac-n-cheese. I like tasting creativity in general, and mac-n-cheese is a food with so many possibilities, IMO.

CD

Mac-n-cheese is an American classic, and by American, I mean the United States of America. I know Canada is also "American." Mac-n-cheese is as "American" as hot dogs and apple pie. It is one of few foods that kids go nuts for, and adults actually love, too.

Of course, kids love the boxed Kraft mac-n-cheese. Adults in the US are increasingly drawn to the "adult" mac-n-cheese being offered at chef-driven restaurants. I outgrew the boxed stuff (especially after living off that and ramen toward the end of every semester as a college student).

So, I am a sucker for "gourmet" mac-n-cheese. I like tasting creativity in general, and mac-n-cheese is a food with so many possibilities, IMO.

CD
Apple pie isn’t as American as you think: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-apple-pie-linked-america-180963157/

Neither are hot dogs:
https://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-history

From where, incidentally, did the phrase “easy as pie” come? Sure, pie is easy. If you’ve been making them for 20 or 30 years!

Apple pie isn’t as American as you think: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-apple-pie-linked-america-180963157/

Neither are hot dogs:
https://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-history

From where, incidentally, did the phrase “easy as pie” come? Sure, pie is easy. If you’ve been making them for 20 or 30 years!

Hot dogs... apple pie... UNDER ATTACK! I just forwarded your post to Donald Trump. You are in big trouble now. Be prepared to have a wall built around your house.

Back off, or I'll call in Mike Pence. No cake for you!!!

CD :D

14,000 varieties of apples? Wow! I knew apples weren't solely American, and it seems logical that with them being around for 500+ years that someone would have made them into a pie at some point before they migrated to the New World. But I would never have guessed even close to that number of different varieties.

While the wiener sausage itself may not be "All American", the sandwich that we know as the "hot dog" certainly seems to be uniquely American, from all of my reading on it.

Good question. I've never made a pie... not willing to tackle making a pie crust, and just never go around to trying it with store bought. I'd really like to make apple pie like my mom's. About twice the apples of any other pie I ever ate, and just enough of the sauce to tie it all together. She sliced the apples thinly, never used anything but winesap apples for their tartness, then balanced that with enough sugar and spices to give a great contrast between the tart fruit and the sweet juice (she used about twice as much spice as any recipe, and made her own crust). Winesap apples retained some of their crunch even after baking.... making me homesick right now. She always served it the English way with sliced cheddar cheese on the side.

Back
Top Bottom