"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Mac n' Cheese Help!

Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to make this mac n' cheese recipe for lunch tomorrow, but I need a little help with somethin.

It says to add the flour, then the heavy cream. Reduce by a third. Then stir in the cheese.

Does that mean reduce the heat by a third, or reduce the liquid by a third, or what?...

Also, I can't find any shallots, so just cut off a chunk of a sweet onion I had, think that'll be okay?

Thanks in advance..

Here's the recipe:

Mac Daddy Mac n' Cheese Recipe : Guy Fieri : Food Network

Old 10-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Reduce the liquid by a third to thicken it. An onion will work fine as a substitute for shallots. I do it all the time.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Afternoon Miss BC....I'll take a stab it. I read the recipe to mean reduce the 4 cups of cream by 1/3 Personally I wouldn't do that.. I would just whisk in maybe 3 cups (or just a wee bit less)...add the cheese, and proceed with the recipe.

Warning...I am not the chief Mac & Cheese Chef in my house!!
But, we'll get the ball rolling!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I read it and re-read it and it sounds like they mean heat. If you read it, that is the stage in cooking mac and cheese where you lower the heat and add the cheese. Lowering the heat keeps the cream from burning and lets you slowly melt in the cheese. If you cut the cream by a third, you'd have to omit most of the flour and probably the cheese because that would be a very chunky mess without the extra liquid.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Master Chef

My guess would be the same as sanck pack, reduce the heat. Why would you mix the liquid in, then reduce it? That sounds a little redundant, right? If I am wrong, tell me to shut up
Old 10-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Reducing liquids to intensify the flavors is common in making sauces etc.

In this case it makes no sense to me to reduce 4 cups of cream...I would fear it burning and/or breaking...

The term/phrase...."Reduce by 1/3" in recipes normally/usually means reduce the liquid by 1/3. I've never seen the phrase used to mean "Reduce (the heat) by 1/3

....I often see..."Reduce to a Simmer"... "Reduce to a slow boil" which to me means reducing the heat.

How does one reduce the heat by 1/3?? My stove is not marked that way.

IMHO.. the recipe is poorly written/conceived at this point. When considering the source(s) I'm not surprised!

Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Reducing liquids to intensify the flavors is common in making sauces etc.

In this case it makes no sense to me to reduce 4 cups of cream...I would fear it burning and/or breaking...

The term/phrase...."Reduce by 1/3" in recipes normally/usually means reduce the liquid by 1/3. I've never seen the phrase used to mean "Reduce (the heat) by 1/3

....I often see..."Reduce to a Simmer"... "Reduce to a slow boil" which to me means reducing the heat.

How does one reduce the heat by 1/3?? My stove is not marked that way.

IMHO.. the recipe is poorly written/conceived at this point. When considering the source(s) I'm not surprised!

Okay, I concede and shut up I never said I was a cook just good a following directions, lol
Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Okay, I concede and shut up I never said I was a cook just good a following directions, lol

Please See the (My) disclaimer in post # 3...

Tell ya what Miss TG...let's forego the Mac & Cheese, and go get a steak!!! Miss BC, you're welcome to join us!!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
Master Chef

Lets go!! LOL
Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Sous Chef

lol, right behind yah guys!

..we'll see how it turns out tomorrow. I went ahead and made it today (to save me some time, since it'll be right after church) i'll just add the topping right before I bake it.

I just wasn't sure what to do, so I saute'd the garlic and onion, over med. heat. Added the flour for one min, then added 3 1/2 cups of cream. I waited for it to start simmering, and reduced the heat just a little. Then when it seemed like the liquid had decreased some, I added the cheese. Once I added all the cheese, it got nice and creamy, so I'm hoping it'll be alright. I'm glad it wasn't just me that got confused by the wording..
By the way, Since i've already fried my bacon (to make the bacon fat) will it be okay if I go ahead and crumble it, put it in a ziploc bag, and save it for tomorrow? Or should I fry some new ones before I bake it?

Thanks for the help guys!

Tags
None