Macaroni and Cheese from scratch recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colby92

Assistant Cook
I like this recipe because its not just pasta with cheese...

Topping:
6 slices white bread
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into six pieces

Pasta:
1 pound elbow macaroni (or other kind if you wish)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 table spoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
5 cups milk
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded or crumbled
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or crumbled

Put bread and butter into a food processor until the crumbs are no larger than 1/8 inch. Set aside

Boil 4 quarts water in a dutch oven over high heat, add pasta and tablespoon salt, once pasta is tender, set aside in a colander.

heat butter over medium-high heat in Dutch oven till it foams. Add flour, mustard, and cayenne and whisk well for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium, and whisk occasionaly, about 5 or so minutes. Turn off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt untill cheese fully melts. Add pasta and cook over medium low heat stirring occasionaly, about 6 minutes.

Transfer to broiler-safe baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, make sure bread crumbs don't burn.

Definitely a different type of macaroni :)

GREAT recipe - this is how I do mine except I never bake - I want all that cheesy goodness on my spoon and not melted/absorbed into my macaroni :blush: It's just about time for a big pot for dinner!!!!!!!!

Here's my favorite that I've made many variations of over the years.

FOUR-CHEESE MACARONI AU GRATIN

1 pound elbow macaroni
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
2-1/2 cups milk
4-6 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
4-6 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
4-6 ounces Mozzarella cheese, diced
4-6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
Approx. 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Approx. 1/4 teaspoon salt
Approx. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
Approx. 1 teaspoon paprika

Seasoned dry bread crumbs
butter

Preheat oven to 350. In a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, cook pasta until tender but still firm, according to package directions. Drain well & transfer to a large bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon butter & set aside.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour & cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in milk all at once. Bring to a boil, whisking, until sauce is thick & smooth, 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in Gorgonzola & Cheddar & cook, stirring, until cheeses melt, 2-3 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt, & pepper to taste.

Add cheese sauce to cooked pasta. Stir in egg, Mozzarella, & Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a lightly oiled 7 x 11" or similar baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs & paprika, & dot with butter.

Bake 35-40 minutes, or until casserole is bubbling & top is nice & brown.

(Sometimes I'll make variations of this by using whatever odds & ends of cheese I happen to have in the fridge - it always comes out great.)

Here's mine. I know I know...nothing like those posts with the real deal but this is something I make quick for the kids.

2 boxes Kraft Mac and Cheese
1 can tomato soup
1 cup shredded cheddar

Make as directed then add extras. Top with bacon slices and bake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine. I know I know...nothing like those posts with the real deal but this is something I make quick for the kids.

Kraft Mac and Cheese
1 can tomato soup
1 cup shredded cheddar

Make as directed then add extras. Top with bacon slices and bake.

How interesting! Did you come up with this yourself? What was the inspiration for the tomato soup? I love simple, and this sounds great. I imagine baking at 350 for 25 – 30 minutes is right? I’m going to give this a shot! Thanks!

Keltin,

My mother always added the tomato soup. I think it was a recipe from the 70's. You are right about the cooking time. I just watch the bacon and pull it out when it looks ready.

I like this recipe because its not just pasta with cheese...

Topping:
6 slices white bread
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into six pieces

Pasta:
1 pound elbow macaroni (or other kind if you wish)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 table spoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
5 cups milk
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded or crumbled
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or crumbled

Put bread and butter into a food processor until the crumbs are no larger than 1/8 inch. Set aside

Boil 4 quarts water in a dutch oven over high heat, add pasta and tablespoon salt, once pasta is tender, set aside in a colander.

heat butter over medium-high heat in Dutch oven till it foams. Add flour, mustard, and cayenne and whisk well for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium, and whisk occasionaly, about 5 or so minutes. Turn off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt untill cheese fully melts. Add pasta and cook over medium low heat stirring occasionaly, about 6 minutes.

Transfer to broiler-safe baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, make sure bread crumbs don't burn.

Definitely a different type of macaroni :)

Copied and pasted Colby!! It's a winner and thanks for posting it!!:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom