"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Making homemade pasta

Hello, when making homemade pastas, why do some recipes call for cold water and others warm? Is there a difference because of the flour, it being an eggless pasta, or some other reason? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC Cooking Shark! I have never made fresh pasta, often wanted to but have yet to try. I have seen so many different recipes for pasta and presumably they all work to varying degrees of quality. Taking a punt, I would suggest that using warm water helps make the pastry (correct term??) more elastic so you can get it nice and thin. Probably just helps (or is deemed to help) it get to where it needs to be a bit quicker.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi Bilby and thanks for the welcome. I have been on a real cooking kick lately and decided to attempt homemade pasta. I did it by hand to see if getting a pasta machine was warranted. I was so thrilled with the results that I am going to make the purchase. You are right, there are so many different recipes and I plan to try several to find my favorite. I have researched extensively this process but have yet to find an answer to this temperature issue but your reasoning sounds, well, reasonable. Thanks. The homemade pasta really was so much better than boxed dry. Doing it by hand was fun, but only once. I must get the pasta machine.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Welcome DC Cookingshark ! It is fun making fresh pasta and it tastes so good! A recipe from "Italian Kitchen" by Alistair Little works for me - there's no water in it though - 250g normal flour,250g semolina flour, 300g egg or 6 eggs. Just keep your hands wet while kneading it and remember to wrap it in clingfilm and refrigerate for 1-4 hours before rolling out. A pasta machine is definitely a must - you can't get it thin enough by hand - I've tried more than once :-)
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Well, cookingshark, I make a lot of homemade pasta and always use room temp water. Never used warm. I make all sorts of pasta, including spinach, etc. I've had an Atlas pasta machine for years and love it. It's a real champ. However, I'm entertaining the notion of getting an electric motor to retrofit it. The arthritis and carpal tunnel in my right hand make turning the crank a bit difficult and painful. I can get the motor. Just haven't put it at the top of my priority list.

Before I got my machine I did it all by hand. The pasta turned out fine, but it took a lot longer.

I used to rest a broom handle across the backs of two chairs to use as a drying rack, but Buck built me a nice wooden one that has enough "arms" to dry several pounds of pasta. Yeah!

Have fun making your pasta. There's nothing better than homemade noodles in a pot of rich homemade chicken soup.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingshark View Post
Hello, when making homemade pastas, why do some recipes call for cold water and others warm? Is there a difference because of the flour, it being an eggless pasta, or some other reason? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to DC, cookingshark. I've only made pasta with eggs, but looking at Mario's recipe -- it calls for tepid water.

Eggless Pasta

Here's one of my post's on homemade pasta, you might enjoy. Have fun.

Fresh Homemade Pasta Day
Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks so much for these great replies. I am so glad I found this site. So far I have tried this two times, one recipe with egg and one without. When I let the dough rest in plastic wrap, I left it on the counter but I guess I was supposed to put it in the fridge. I agree the machine is a must as I couldn't get it thin enough no matter how long or hard I rolled. I had the strips hanging over chairs (clean towels draped over them). It actually worked making little loose nests. So, looks like I toss the cold water and stick to room or tepid.

What about adding EVOO? Anyone try that?

again, thanks for the great advice and sites. I am learning.

Katie, is it possible for you to send a pic of the rack Buck made you? My Rob could build this for me if he had a pic. If not, no biggie.

also, do you mix using the flour and well method or does anyone use a food processor?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I just noticed Mario said to leave dough in wrap at room temp. Seems there are many theories to this process. My head is spinning. But I am determined.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Ever played "pin the tail on the donkey"? Seems like it could be a good way to pick a recipe for pasta making!!! LOL

You know you might want to try one of those clothes airers to dry your pasta on. Like
Homecare Catalogue=

Chulmleigh Hardware Product Details

We can get plastic ones a lot cheaper than the prices quoted here, the little umbrella one is available at those discount variety stores that are primarily junk but every so often have something good.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks Bilby......after thinking about it, I could just as easily pick up a rack like those shown on the two sites you sent so thanks. I like the first one.

Knowing me, I will probably play pin the tail on the donkey before zoning into a favorite or two. I actually received my pasta machine today as a gift so I am psyched.

Tags
None