Mama's Calico Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I promised to pass this along at the dinner thread. My kids have always loved this, and one of them is coming for dinner tonight.

Mama’s Calico Beans

6 slices of extra thick bacon
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper (two colors)
2 lg. garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard

1 can (15 oz) drained and rinsed black beans
1 can (15 oz) drained red kidney beans
1 can(15 oz) drained white beans
1 can (28oz) baked beans
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, (undrained)

Cut bacon in half and cook till it has rendered some fat, don’t fully cook. Remove from the fat and set aside.
To the fat in the skillet, add the onion and cook till just wilted. Add the garlic and bell pepper, then the rest of the next five ingredients. Bring to the boil for a minute or two.
In a buttered bean pot or casserole, mix all the beans with the pineapple and pour the skillet contents over all. Mix well. Lay the reserved bacon slices on top and bake at 350 degrees for around 90 minutes.

Last edited:
I must mention that you can use any combo of canned beans that you like along with the baked beans. We like the ones listed, but that's just us.

My daughter-in-law had never had this before tonight. She couldn't stop talking about how good they were and asked to take some home. Made my day. :)

Last edited:
This sounds really good, Kay. I LOVE baked bean dishes, especially in the fall when the weather is cooling down. I haven't heard of adding pineapple before, but it sounds lovely and will try it! Thank you for sharing - copied and saved. :chef:

Last edited:
Thank you K. Is the pineapple in juice or syrup?

I haven't found canned or frozen fruit in syrup in decades. I have a couple of old recipes that are easier with syrup, 'cause then you don't need to add sugar and dissolve it. That's why I have been paying attention.

I haven't found canned or frozen fruit in syrup in decades. I have a couple of old recipes that are easier with syrup, 'cause then you don't need to add sugar and dissolve it. That's why I have been paying attention.
You could use honey or agave instead, or make simple syrup.

You could use honey or agave instead, or make simple syrup.

I know how to deal with it. If the fruit is frozen, I sprinkle sugar on the berries or cut fruit and wait until I do have some syrup. If the fruit is canned, I heat the juice and dissolve sugar in it. Maybe agave would be faster, but I don't keep that at home. Fruit in syrup is just easier and faster.

Last edited:
Kayelle, that is a great sounding bean recipe. Sadly, I can't eat any kind of legumes. And I was a bean lover I'll just have to eat more pork belly/:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom