Mashed Potato tastes plain. Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aside from the more salt an pepper, roasted garlic squeezed in, or a nice mushroom/wine gravy is how we enjoy it here. ( real butter and cream too, just dont let my wife know, she is tryin towatch her diet, but how can u resist the butter and cream)

As others have mentioned, salt the water while boiling. If you don't add enough salt to the boiling water, the potatoes won't taste like anything. Like pasta, salt the water.

I use sour cream and mayo in them. A little butter and milk.
Yeah.... low fat they are not.
I've made a lower fat version from Cooking Light with cream cheese that were really close.
As for salt, i add and taste until I like it. start with 1/2 tsp maybe and go from there??

From the recipe you described, it sounds as if you made pretty standard mashed potatoes.

It is a bland dish, and it's supposed to be bland. Like plain steamed rice, mashed potatoes are a side dish that is usually eaten with other foods that have a sauce or gravy of some sort. The sauce or gravy is put on the mashed potatoes to provide flavor.

If there is no sauce, most people like to top the mashed potatoes with lots of butter, which isn't the healthiest way to eat -- but it is good! Same with baked potatoes.

About the only time most westerners eat mashed potatoes alone is when they're sick and can tolerate only very bland food.

The healthiest way to make mashed potatoes is to mash them with just a little buttermilk and salt. Taste great, strong potato flavor, and the amount of fat and calories is reduced dramatically.

We like mashed potatoes several ways...from really decadent, to really frugal...

For the frugal (healthier) version, we use some nice chicken broth instead of the milk/cream...and lots of cracked black pepper for punch...:)

You know, this business of "salting the water" is, in just my opinion, nothing but a crock. Especially if you're trying to limit your sodium intake.

I once did a pasta taste test - two pots of boiling water - one salted; one not - identical amounts of pasta added & cooked to "al dente" stage.

Results: ABSOLUTELY NO FRIGGIN DIFFERENCE IN TASTE, TEXTURE, OR ANYTHING ELSE. While salt definitely can "accent" other flavors in food, used by itself & to excess, all it does is make the resulting food SALTY!!

Folks who insist on salting everything must have stock in the salt companies. :LOL:

You know, this business of "salting the water" is, in just my opinion, nothing but a crock. Especially if you're trying to limit your sodium intake.

I once did a pasta taste test - two pots of boiling water - one salted; one not - identical amounts of pasta added & cooked to "al dente" stage.

Results: ABSOLUTELY NO FRIGGIN DIFFERENCE IN TASTE, TEXTURE, OR ANYTHING ELSE.

Folks who insist on this must have stock in the salt companies. :LOL:
How much salt did you use Breezy? What they usually show on TV is way too little salt in the water. I put in a lot of salt (hey salt is very inexpensive). I get the water tasting like I would if I were doing a brine. This is for pasta though. I do not bother doing it for potatoes as the potatoes do not suck up the water as pasta does so for potatoes it is a waste as far as I am concerned.

How much salt did you use Breezy? What they usually show on TV is way too little salt in the water. I put in a lot of salt (hey salt is very inexpensive). I get the water tasting like I would if I were doing a brine. This is for pasta though. I do not bother doing it for potatoes as the potatoes do not suck up the water as pasta does so for potatoes it is a waste as far as I am concerned.
I agree. I add about 2 Tablespoons of kosher salt to an 8-quart pot of boiling water for pasta. I find that doing so makes a difference in both the taste and texture of the pasta.

Don't get me started GB - lol!!!

Why the heck do I need to salt the h**l out of my pasta cooking water if the resulting pasta is going to be tossed
with a very flavorful sauce that most likely has more than enough salt added to it?????

If you're planning on eating your pasta buck-naked plain without any sauce - go ahead, salt the h**l out of the water. If not, you're just adding way too unnecessarily to your sodium count. And, by the way, not adding ANYTHING to the flavor.

(Oh - & I don't normally run around worrying about my sodium intake. I just don't bother with salt where it's definitely NOT needed.....)

I see what you are saying Breezy and with some sauces I will agree with you, but only the heaviest sauces. With most sauces I find that I can tell a difference. It is not a huge difference, but it is enough that I am willing to spend the $.15 in salt that it costs me to get that little added boost in flavor.

"Results: ABSOLUTELY NO FRIGGIN DIFFERENCE IN TASTE, TEXTURE, OR ANYTHING ELSE."

I disagree.
And maybe some palates are more fine tuned than others. Or use more salt. My pots or pasta don't taste salty, but are definately inhanced by using salt in the water.
Just as I put sugar in the water while making corn on the cob.
Or check any cake, cookie or pastry or bread recipe, the amounts most times seem neglegible, but leave it out, and it makes a huge difference.
Try not adding salt or any spice or herb to stock for instance, not much of anything. So if one values the other spices, why diss salt?
Everything in moderation, I say. Unless you have health issues.

As for having stock, nope. Wouldn't be a bad idea though, considering all the different kinds of salt from all over the world.
And it's the cheapest "spice" of them all, if that's what you want to call it, and oldest preservative.

I'll take my salt and like it.

We seem to be straying from the original topic a bit so lets just agree that for some salting pasta and/or potatoes is a good thing and for others it is unnecessary.

Now back to why the OP's potatoes were bland.

thanks everybody for the suggestions and the salt thing!! It'll help me a lot. I'll try cooking the mashed potatos again!

by the way, I've to do a project for a life coach course. (and my life coach will mentor me on how i handle a project) my project is to successfully cook 6 healthy and delicious (and not too difficult) recipes within 6 weeks.

So I guess i'll hang out here regularly for the next 6 weeks! so you'll be seeing me!!!

now i'll start searching for recipes.

Not trying to hijack the thread or start an off-topic debate but I too am trying to master this feat. My first attempt in the kitchen was real mashed potatoes. I figured it seems simple and mashed potatoes can go well with alot of things.

First attempt I got a very bland taste. Even with butter, salt, pepper. was also lumpy and some lumps seemed undercooked. So I thought the bland taste came from undercooking the potatoes.

Second attempt I cooked the potatoes to a point where they seem to start falling apart, is that over cooking them? This time though I added too much cream and basically had a potato soup. So I peeled and microwave some more potatoes quickly and added them to the pot. The mashed potatoes felt a little gluey, could that come from over-cooking? However the taste was very enjoyable but still looking for a more creamy texture.

I read the difference preferences when it comes to mashed potatoes. I am currently working with Yukon Golds (will try other types later, working on a budget here). Since new in the kitchen I am just trying to get a feel of how to cook a potato. First attempt I cut them in quarters and did not cover the sauce pan. Second time I cut them in halves and covered them slightly to let some steam escape.

So I am not quite familiar with my stove top and something simple as boiling water with potatoes in them. Should I cut smaller or larger pieces? Covered or uncovered? Any tips before my last attempt tonight would be great.

The taste & the gluey texture have nothing to do with undercooking or overcooking the potatoes. Taste has to do with the variety of potato plus whatever you add in. Texture has to do with how you mash them; gluey potatoes usually mean you've over-processed them.

Cut your potatoes into quarters & cook them in boiling water to cover until a knife easily pierces them. Drain well, place back in the hot pan, & toss around until the extra moisture dries off. Then add whatever you like - butter, cream, seasonings, & lightly mash to your desired texture.

I have definitely learned that if you don't salt the water while boiling you can never add enough salt while mashing. Make sure to add a couple palmfuls of salt per gallon of water that you boil your potatoes in. Without salt in the water, your potatoes will always be bland.,

Salt, pepper, butter, milk and some grated cheese really makes it tasty.

Imho, I get the best results when I use Idahos (bakers) for mashed potatoes. Peel, cut into chunks and put into COLD salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until a paring knife comes out clean and quickly from the largest chunks.

Idahos are driest and mealy, and they lap up whatever liquids you add to them. i have used with equal success combos of many of the following: cream, milk, crème fraîche, stock - both beef and chicken, the water from boiling the potatoes, along with butter. Sometimes grated fresh horseradish, sometimes roasted garlic, mashed. Could use a couple of teaspoons of finely chopped fresh herb of your choice. Potatoes especially like sage and tarragon, I like marjoram.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom