Mashed Potato tastes plain. Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuxEterna

Assistant Cook
Hello to everybody!

I'm a newbie to cooking and newbie to this forum.

self intro : I'm from Singapore. I'm 32F single. I grew up with Chinese foods. And I can't cook for nuts, because in Singapore, there's cheap tasty food every where here. (People who cannot cook will not die from hunger in Singapore. )

But two weeks ago, I decided to enter the adventurous world of cooking.

Pls help with my mashed potato. why does it taste bland??

I used 3 big potatos, with 200ml milk and 50 g unsalted butter and 1 bunch of scallions and half tea spoon salt.

Is it that I havent added enough salt or that it is meant to taste this bland??

The problem with recipes is, they never tell you how much salt to put. They just say "SOME salt and pepper"

How much is SOME???? Zeesh, How would a newbie know???

How can I improve my recipe?

Thank you, dear forum for the answer and help.

Last edited:
If it tastes bland to you, add more salt. Do it slowly, tasting after each addition because while you can always add more, you cannot take away. I use a bit of sour cream in my mashed potatoes, too...it rounds out the flavour. You could also do roasted garlic, or pesto, or sundried tomatoes.

Potatoes are bland by nature, just like rice. I add a bit of cayenne pepper or a little horseradish to mine. It depends on your taste buds and what you're going to eat them with.

And...welcome to DC!

For 3 large potatoes, I would probably be probably be putting in about a half a stick of butter. 1/2 stick is 1/8 of a pound which is 56 grams. So 50g is not far off. I always fully incorporate the butter before putting in the milk. Other than that you may just need more salt.

Welcome to DC. For regular mashed potatoes my mom always added butter, milk and salt and pepper to taste.

Garlic and cream cheese will really brighten it up...If that sounds interesting I'll post up a recipe...

Potatoes are bland. Sounds like you need to add more salt. The reason recipes usually do not specify how much salt is because it would be different for everyone. What might be salty enough for you will be too salty for the next person and not enough salt for the person after that. You just need to add a little at a time and taste until you get the right amount.

I always put a couple or three of peeled cloves of garlic in with the water when boiling the potatoes, then just mash them in after draining.....gives a wonderful taste

sounds like you need more salt. I always salt the water I cook the potatoes in. That helps lift the flavor. I also like to add some Creole seasoning for a bit of pizzaz. and white pepper.

Sometimes I toss garlic cloves in with the potatoes while they're cooking and just mash them all together. a bit of freshly grated horseradish is also a good flavor-lifter. :pig:

a great Lower fat version uses chicken stock in place of milk or cream and butter. quite tasty! :)

Please don't take offense at this, because I certainly don't mean it that way, but living in Singapore, have you ever had mashed potatoes before? Because the basic recipe is really supposed to be somewhat bland. If you add too much salt, all you'll end up with is salty bland mashed potatoes - lol!!

I'd suggest you do one of two things: 1) add more salt & pepper to your individual servings of mashed potatoes - NOT to the entire pot, &/or 2) add other ingredients to "spice things up" - add garlic, cheese, buttermilk, sour cream, bacon bits, chopped cooked greens, gravy or any other sauce you're fond of, etc., etc. Experiment - that's what makes cooking so much fun. Unless you're working with really really expensive ingredients, the worst that can happen is that you don't like the current result & can easily try again.:chef:

I like to add a little sour cream to mashed potatoes along with the milk, butter, salt and pepper. A little roasted garlic doesn't hurt either!
3.gif

Mashed Potatoes

All the suggestions should work fine. My husband says....you are an excellent cook...but your mashed potatoes...?????? not tasty.

I don't make mashed potatoes too often. As BreezyCooking suggests...try and try and you will get the taste you want. I just don't try. Aria

I know it sounds decadent, but try using real butter and real cream rather than milk.

Even evaporated milk gives a richer taste than plain milk.

I use the garlic in the water idea all the time, and when I have sour cream, it is great.

Back
Top Bottom