"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Mexican Manicotti

Mexican Manicotti
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
1 16-oz. can refried beans
2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 8-oz. pkg. manicotti shells
2 1/2 cups water
1 16-oz. jar picante sauce
2 cups sour cream
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup sliced olives
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Combine uncooked meat, beans, chili powder, and oregano. Spoon into shells; place in a greased 9"x 13" baking dish. Combine water and picante sauce and pour over shells. Cover; refrigerate overnight.

Remove dish from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Uncover; top shells with sour cream, cheese, olives, and onions. Bake 5-10 minutes longer.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Mexican Manicotti

Would it be better to brown and drain meat ahead of time? I noticed the recipe said not to do that.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Honeybee, I did a double-take when I first read the recipe (i.e not browning the beef or cooking the noodles first). While, I have not tried it yet, I like the idea of saving a few steps for a quick meal. Think recipe originally came from a Taste of Home? Did some more research & read another option is to make it w/o the beef & use refried beans. Another recipe I saved was made in the microwave. Yet another was made with chicken. I like experimenting with recipes...so, guess you could always brown the beef first if you wish. I like a new twist on an old dish. If you're interested in the other variations I mentioned, just wave. Thanks for your input. :)
Old 01-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
Hospitality Queen

This sounds so good - I love recipes you can make the night before!
Thanks for this one!
Old 01-29-2005, 02:38 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Copper
This sounds so good - I love recipes you can make the night before!
Thanks for this one!
Your Welcome Copper. Hope it turns out to your liking. Oops, wanted to mention, one recipe said you don't have to wait over night. Was prepared right away. See what you think.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
Head Chef

Hi,
I make a manicotti dish that uses chicken and has a roasted red pepper sauce that is delicious. You do cook the chicken and pasta first. Then, and this is the good part, you split the manicotti down the middle, put the stuffing in. press the ends together, and lay seam side down in the dish. It does not open up or fall apart when you serve it, and it's so much eassier than trying to spoon the stuff into the tube. Has anyone else done it that way?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou
Hi,
I make a manicotti dish that uses chicken and has a roasted red pepper sauce that is delicious. You do cook the chicken and pasta first. Then, and this is the good part, you split the manicotti down the middle, put the stuffing in. press the ends together, and lay seam side down in the dish. It does not open up or fall apart when you serve it, and it's so much eassier than trying to spoon the stuff into the tube. Has anyone else done it that way?
Great idea! Thanks lyndalou. If you have a chance, could you share the recipe with us? Thanks in advance. :)

You've given me another idea:
Mexican lasagna roll-ups. Similar, in that, we cook the lasagna noodles, put refried beans/chicken/or mexican beef combo inside, roll & bake. Top w sour cream, olives, shredded cheese of choice, onions, avacado or guacamole. Wha-da-ya-think?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

since we're talking about different ways....
here's something I do:

4 nights of Manicotti

8 c. ricotta
1/4 c. parsley
4 beaten eggs
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 c. fresh parmesan
2 c. mozzarella
40 manicotti shells
6 jars Marinara sauce ( I like Ragu 5 cheese)

Cooking day:
Cook manicotti shells only until barely pliable. Mix all other ingreds except sauce. Stuff shells by using a pastry bag. Place shells back into their plastic packaging & then cover with a few tight layers of plastic wrap. Then put each set of shells into their own freezer bag. Freeze.

Serving day: (for 1 night)
Pour a bit of sauce over bottom of ungreased baking dish. Lay frozen stuffed manicotti noodles on top & cover with remaining sauce. Then, top w/extra parmesan cheese if desired & bake @ 425 degrees for 35 or so minutes.

Now you have meals for 3 more nights, or you can bring them, along with a jar of sauce & cooking directions to someone who needs a good dinner fast!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I came across a recipe for manicotti, using (of all things) egg roll wrappers/skins. It's a basic ricotta & tomato sauce recipe. If anyone is interested, send up a flare.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to nicole
Mish that sounds so good please post it.

Tags
None