Miz Eller's Pinto Bean Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Miz Eller's Pinto Bean Pie

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 stick margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cooked pinto beans, mashed
pinch of salt
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 pie shell

"Beat eggs, sugar, and margarine together; add vanilla, salt, beans, coconut, and pecans. Put in uncooked pie shell. Bake at 350 until done."

Keri's notes to Miz Eller's recipe - also good with half white and half brown sugar. She says to bake until done - I've found that "done" happens after about 35 minutes at 350, when you can stick a knife in the middle and it comes out clean. About 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg is good in this. I usually use real butter as opposed to margarine. Good served warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Pinto

I love the unusual sound of this pie. If you have tried it, what did you think? Evidently, you must have liked it since you shared it with us. I am always amazed at the different recipes that I can get from this board. I do want to thank you for sharing your time and recipe. Different recipes always keep my family coming back for more. That is what we are all striving for.

Nope haven't tried it yet. Came from a bbq buddy and they cook lots of stuff people rave over.

Mock Pecan Pie

Miz Eller's recipe rang a bell when I read it. I made something similar several years ago without the pecans:

Quick Google Search & not necessarily the one I used said:
MOCK PECAN PIE

1 unbaked pie shell
1 cup mashed pinto beans
2 cup sugar
3 eggs
pinch of salt

Beat sugar, eggs and salt together and add the pinto
beans. Mix well. Let stand for 1/2 an hour. Pour into pie
shell. Bake at 425 degrees until crust begins to brown. Reduce oven
to 375 degrees and bake 30 minutes more or until center of pie is set.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream

I recommend cooking the pintos without salt (or hambone :rolleyes: ).

Tom

I recommend cooking the pintos without salt (or hambone

Tomw, in other words you wouldn't make the recipe? You don't care for it?

Oops, I should have included a review. :chef:

The finished product was okay. But I made the dessert more for the intrigue factor as I don't eat sweets. :eek:

My wife thought it was okay too, but although she eats sweets, she also watches her girlish figure, and had no more than a sample slice. Ultimately, I decided the pie would be a great conversation piece at a potluck dinner where there are always more than enough desserts.

I recommended leaving the salt out of the beans so as to limit their natural flavor. In this recipe, the beans are being used primarily for the consistency they add. Kind of like Ritz crackers in a mock apple pie (which I also made once for all of us to sample, stare at for a week, and throw away :D).

Tom

Pinto

Would you please tell me if canned pinto beans would be okay? Or should I buy the dry and soak and cook for this? It just sounds different as you said. Reason I would like to try it and should not be too much worry of weight gain.

I personally would stay away from canned pintos because the added seasoning, to me, would give them too much of an undesired flavor. I could be wrong though.

The pintos I soaked & cooked with nothing but water would have made a rather unappealing side dish or meal as they were quite bland. But I thought they worked great for the pie.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom