"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #11
Everymom

Whats a black radish look like? I googled but it just looks like a regular radish to me. Is it black all the way through? Does it have the same unfortunate aftereffects that regular radishes do?

Old 11-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It's black on the outside - I'll go slice it right now. I feel sure it's going to taste just like a regular radish - hold on.............................it's roughly snowball size Alix ........................................ .................................................. ......................

Well, I think I've had this reply up for about 3 hours now - maybe longer lol I posted some pics in the photo galler - in order from start to the ugly finish here!! Actually they are posted backwards! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Neat Elf! Used to get those in BC as they are grown in California and made their way north of the border. Do you find the taste more pungent than red radishes? I've read that you can cream them like you would a turnip but have not tried it yet.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

They did remind me of a turnip but of course they had a bite to them - they are a bit like kohlrabi - I think creamed would be really good - kind of like horseradish already grown into the potato! lol Like I said in my photo of this in the photo gallery if you slice them really thin the very first flavor on your tongue is apple - if you slice them thick the very first flavor is kohlrabi - then you keep eating and the radish flavor kicks way up!! I cut them into matchsticks and added them to the Summer Roll.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Sounds delicious, thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

You're welcome lifesaver...it is good and I'll probably make a batch for our Monday cookout, which could turn into a cook"in"

Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
Master Chef

I was looking for this recipe yesterday! I did a search and couldn't find it! I ended up throwing together something but will have to print this out for next time.

Tags
None