Msmofet's Tricolored Quinoa & Orzo Pilaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Msmofet's Tricolored Quinoa & Orzo Pilaf

There is rice a roni and pasta roni now there is MsM's twisted quinoa roni!!

4 -5 Servings

• 1/4 cup White Quinoa
  • 1 TBS EVOO
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/4 cup Black Quinoa
  • 1/4 cup Red Quinoa
  • 1/4 cup Orzo pasta
  • 1-1/2 cup stock (flavor of choice to compliment the entrée) or water
  • Ground sea salt - to taste
  • Ground peppercorns - to taste
  • 3 - 5 strands of saffron - optional

1. Chop onion - small dice.
  2. Place quinoa in a fine sieve (strainer)and rinse well under water for about 2 minutes.
  3. Heat EVOO in pot then add the onion and sweat for 2 minutes.
  4. Add quinoa and orzo and cook stirring till pasta is slightly golden.
  5. Add stock (or water) and bring to boil.
  6. Add ground sea salt and ground peppercorns to taste and the saffron.
  7. Reduce heat to a simmer.
  8. Cover and cook for between 30 and 35 minutes.
  9. Turn off heat and let sit covered for an additional five minutes.
  10. Fluff and serve.
img_959411_0_eab4460a92f08082f875042c68b4532a.jpg

Yummy! I'm going to try this in my pressure cooker... should knock it down to roughly 10 minutes. I bet my other half would appreciate the addition of orzo... It will temper the nutritious nature of the quinoa on his 'healthy-food sensitive' palate... ;) Before now I've mixed quinoa with rice or tons of veggies - this is a new twist!

Yummy! I'm going to try this in my pressure cooker... should knock it down to roughly 10 minutes. I bet my other half would appreciate the addition of orzo... It will temper the nutritious nature of the quinoa on his 'healthy-food sensitive' palate... ;) Before now I've mixed quinoa with rice or tons of veggies - this is a new twist!
I haven't tried this in the pressure cooker yet. It would disappear in the 6 qt pot! LOL

AND I served this with a chicken and veggie stir fry tonight. Two hours after I ate I tested my blood sugar and it was 70.

Yeah, I have a tiny itsy-bitsy electric one, just perfect for this. I might have to adjust liquids though, not sure...

:sorcerer: You're our Confetti girl, Ms.M.

First confetti soup and now confetti Pilaf.....who knows where this can take you. :)

Once again this looks like a keeper of a recipe.:chef:

:sorcerer: You're our Confetti girl, Ms.M.

First confetti soup and now confetti Pilaf.....who knows where this can take you. :)

Once again this looks like a keeper of a recipe.:chef:
LOL Thank you! This picture surprised me. It is a crop of my dinner plate picture. The detail is amazing.

Which leads me to ask......what kind of a super duper camera do you use? Your pictures are all out of this world, like a professional. Secrets please?
Thank you K! Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 only 6 megapixels. I do the best I can. Sometimes I take 20 pix to get 1 good one! I can't figure out how to take a good pic in macro!! Can someone tell me the secret?

Thank you K! Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 only 6 megapixels. I do the best I can. Sometimes I take 20 pix to get 1 good one! I can't figure out how to take a good pic in macro!! Can someone tell me the secret?

You gotta get real close with macro.. no.. I mean closer.. closer.. closer.. keep the lens out of the food though..

I copied and pasted this one MsM! Been looking for something other than making quinoa salad.

Back
Top Bottom