"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Mushroom Gnocchi Gratin

Mushroom Gnocchi Gratin

1 pound frozen/fresh potato gnocchi
1 pound fresh mushroooms, sliced - any combination of varieties
2 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
1/3 cup grated parm reggiano
1/3 cup dry marsala wine
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 cup heavy cream, reduced by 1/3
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
salt and peper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the gnocchi as directed.

Heat a saute pan to medium high, add the butter and sliced mushrooms. Cook mushrooms down, adding a little of the marsala if they start sticking to the pan.

When the mushrooms are soft, add the minced garlic and shallot. Let them soften and cook, then splash them with the rest of the marsala. Cook mushrooms another 2 minutes, season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Butter a baking pan large enough to fit the gnocchi in a single layer. Fill pan with gnocchi. Pour the reduced cream over gnocchi and sprinkle with thyme. Cover with mushrooms, then the chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake at 375 til golden and bubbling.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Everymom

Wow. Does this sound good. Thanks mish, going into the files.

Edit: Noticed this was in veggies as well as pasta so I merged the threads. I think this baby DEFINITELY belongs in pasta. Thanks again mish.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
How luxurious sounding Mish! I am going to remember this one for DH, he's a gnocchi addict

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Master Chef

Feeling really ignorant here. I've never had gnocci. But that recipe sounds so delightful! I love Marsala.
Do any of you know, off hand, whether there is some sort of frozen or dried product that I could substitute? I know it wouldn't be as good, but I've watched Mario and Michael Chiorelli make gnocci from scratch, and don't think I can handle that, physically.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Constance, you can buy frozen gnocci, and I've seen dried gnocci on the shelf at Trader Joes (and it's pretty good!) Look around!

Mish - This recipe really sounds delicious. Thank you so very much!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Wow. Does this sound good. Thanks mish, going into the files.

Edit: Noticed this was in veggies as well as pasta so I merged the threads. I think this baby DEFINITELY belongs in pasta. Thanks again mish.
Thank you for letting me know, Alix. I kept rubbing my eyes, wondering if my gnocchi disappeared into cyberspace. I posted under both topics, as I thought potato (veggie), as well as pasta.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Feeling really ignorant here. I've never had gnocci. But that recipe sounds so delightful! I love Marsala.
Do any of you know, off hand, whether there is some sort of frozen or dried product that I could substitute? I know it wouldn't be as good, but I've watched Mario and Michael Chiorelli make gnocci from scratch, and don't think I can handle that, physically.
They are delish, Connie. Fresh/Homemade is always better. If you don't have an Italian market close by, to buy them fresh, they can be found in the refrigerated 'fresh' pasta section of the market - vacuum sealed. I tried the gnocchi in a box years ago, & to me, it tasted like cardboard. I love them with just butter, S&P, and Parm too. I've had the potato filled, but think they are also filled with cheese and spinach. Hope that helps. Someday, if I have the time, I would like to make them at home. They are very filling.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Thank you for letting me know, Alix. I kept rubbing my eyes, wondering if my gnocchi disappeared into cyberspace. I posted under both topics, as I thought potato (veggie), as well as pasta.
Sorry Mish! Sometimes I forget to mention my edits. I'll try to be better about that. And I can totally see why you would put it in both places, I just thought we should have all the commentary in one spot.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Glad I dropped by. What a great looking recipe. Now into the kitchen to make some gnocchi...

Ciao

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None