Mushroom Pasta with Goat Cheese Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono760

Cook
I made this yesterday and it was fantastic. I used Penne, but I believe any pasta should work well.

In one pan, saute some finely chopped garlic and basil in some EVOO, for a very short time (taking care not to burn the garlic). Add some beef or veal stock (I used about 1/2 cup for a family of 4), bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer to keep war.

In another pan, sweat some diced shallots (I used 2) and sliced mushrooms (I used 3/4 pound of crimini) in butter. Salt to taste. Then add 2oz of Marsala (although any wine you like should be fine), and boil off the alcohol.

Combine the two preparations and let it come to a slow boil. Add goat cheese (I used about 50g. Don't use too much or you'll lose the other flavours)

Depending on how much pasta you cooked, you might need more liquid. Add more stock, a ladle full at a time, until you're satisfied. Add more goat cheese only if you think it needs it.

Add salt and pepper to taste

Once you drain your pasta, put it back into its cooking pot, pour all the sauce in, toss it around, and serve hot.

:)

Mike

Hey, I'm just wondering what's the taste of Goat Cheese?? I haven't tried it yet so I really wanted to ask.

Goats cheese varies considerably according to the source. i would suggest you go to a deli and ask to taste some before buying. It can have a very distinct flavour and smell. It is hard to describe.

And try not to go out and get the supermarket version. If you have a cheesemonger around where you live, buy some real goat cheese. The difference can be described as:

With supermarket cheese, it's like GOAT with cheese. With "real" cheese, it's like CHEESE with goat.

The taste...it is hard to describe, but if you've ever eaten goat you'll have an idea. That distinct flavor is translated into the cheese (although I personally found it to be more reminiscent of lamb than of goat, since goat is pretty strong)

Mike

Out here we have a goat farm not too far away that makes their own goat cheese and sells it locally and in their farm front stand. Cant get much fresher than that. Ive had their goat chevre, goat herb chevre and the goat milk fudge.

Welcome To Catapano Dairy

You can visit the farm, see the goats and have the cheese making process explained to you.

larry

crono - just know that when you say "boil off the alcohol" that really can't be done. There will ALWAYS be some alcohol left.

Also - just to change up your recipe - in the beginning don't add your fresh basil and don't add the goat cheese. When you say goat cheese are you referring to this? If you are I would be tempted to top off the dish with the fresh basil and slices of goat cheese. I think it would make a beautiful presentation and make these flavors stand out.

I know it can't be fully boiled off, but I do notice that the smell of alcohol reduces considerably through boiling the marsala or whatever else. Doesn't this mean most of the alcohol boils off?

And yes, I do mean that kind of goat cheese. Your idea of using fresh basil sounds interesting, and would really give a great fresh basil taste. I'm not too open to the idea of using goat cheese in chunks at the very end, only because this is a very lightly flavoured sauce to begin with, and I'd be afraid that slices of goat cheese right on the pasta would overpower the mushroomy stock flavour of the sauce.

Naturally, this calls for an experiment, as I do love goat cheese :)

Mike

I'm glad you already know about the alcohol and yes, a lot of the % does cook away.

Hey, about that experiment, it can't hurt :LOL: I think your sauce has more flavor than you think. I would be afraid that the delicate flavor the goat cheese would get lost if left to melt in the actual sauce. LOLOL Opposite ways of thinking about the exact same thing :chef: It's what makes cooking cooking :LOL:

And the basil would be waaay more flavorful if even added in the last 15 minutes of cooking the sauce versus the beginning. If you do it this way you could even add a sprinkling of spring onion for a garnish. Oh no, another experiment!!! :pig:

Back
Top Bottom