"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post

Bring the rice to a boil, then quickly reduce the heat to the lowest setting and tightly cover. Do not take the cover off at any time. Do not peek. Do not stir it. Continue cooking for about 35-40 minutes then turn off the heat. At this point I usually give the rice a quick stir and put the cover back on until it's time to serve.
When you let it sit with the burner off, it's going to make a big difference whether you use electric or gas. The heat retention of the pot will matter too.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Mostly Water's advice is better. A rice cooker is the best way to make any kind of rice, and a good one will also steam vegetalbes, act as a slow cooker and the Krups rice cooker I have makes oatmeal, too!

If the rice cooker comes with a steamer basket that sits on top of the rice bucket, you can cook your rice and steam your vegetables at the same time!
I don't want to know what those vegis look like if they are steaming for as long as brown rice.

I don't have any spare space in my kitchen. I wouldn't mind having a rice cooker, but it's not very far up the list of things that I want. There are other things, that will take up space, that I want first. And, it isn't one of those kitchen toys that will make preparing the food enough easier that I will make that food more often. I make rice about once a week now. I make more than I need and refrigerate and/or freeze some. It nukes up really quickly. Or, I could steam it.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When you let it sit with the burner off, it's going to make a big difference whether you use electric or gas. The heat retention of the pot will matter too.
Yes of course. I was assuming a gas stove. Of course you'll have to take it off the burner if you have an electric stove.

In my situation (gas stove) the heat retention of the pot will keep the rice warm until serving time. At the end of the cooking time (40 minutes for brown rice) the liquid should be gone and the retained heat won't appreciably cook the rice further since there's no more steam being generated. After that point any heat applied to the bottom of the pan will just burn the rice because there's no more water left to evaporate and carry the heat into steam.

In fact the exact instant the last water is turned to steam is the perfect instant to turn off the flame or remove the rice from your electric stove. For me that usually works out to be approximately 40 minutes, or close enough.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Mine makes quinoa too. I can also serve and store the rice in the container that it cooks in.

I admit that it's a gadget, and "extra", but since I can't make decent rice on the stove - neither can my mom - I don't think it's an indulgence. I bought ours several years ago & it wasn't like I used the rent money. I could afford it.

Until then, we microwaved our rice and you know what? Microwave energy costs money too.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
Mine makes quinoa too. I can also serve and store the rice in the container that it cooks in.

I admit that it's a gadget, and "extra", but since I can't make decent rice on the stove - neither can my mom - I don't think it's an indulgence. I bought ours several years ago & it wasn't like I used the rent money. I could afford it.

Until then, we microwaved our rice and you know what? Microwave energy costs money too.
That's why a rice cooker is a great tool for you and not for me.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I get great results cooking white rice in my Cuisinart rice cooker. However I've never gotten good results using brown rice. I know I should experiment with adjusting the water:rice ratio but I've just gotten around to it. Partly that's because when I cook brown rice I often cook only small quantities, but I often cook larger quantities of white rice partly because IMO white rice is better for making the typical Asian fried rice recipes I'm fond of, so I don't mind having lots of white rice left over.

Brown rice, particularly that Lundberg Jubilee I recommend, has such a nice nutty taste when freshly cooked that IMO is not nearly as nice when reheated. That's why I generally cook only small quantities of brown rice.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I get great results using the directions on the package, in a pot! It's pretty much the same as Taxlady's TNT method. Love brown rice.

As much as I love gadgets, not sure I could find the space for a rice maker.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Cook

For perfect brown rice every time, use your oven. This is Alton Brown's recipe, and it always works!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Sorry, I don't see spending money on a gadget to be better advice. I've been making rice (and vegetables) just fine for about 40 years now without a rice cooker.

It's good to understand the basics of driving before buying a sports car.
I agree with Steve. One of the tips I picked up on American Test Kitchen is to rinse all rice. So before you cook the rice, run it under hot water (in a strainer) until the water runs clear, massage the rice as you are running the water over it. It does make a difference. I also add the rice when the water starts to boil and then I turn the temp down and cover the pot. I have no problem with the rice sticking to the bottom of the pan. I have to admit I am a bit "dyslexic" about problems cooking rice. For me, it is a no brainer and I haven't had any problems cooking rice...longer than Steve has.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Sorry, I don't see spending money on a gadget to be better advice. I've been making rice (and vegetables) just fine for about 40 years now without a rice cooker.

It's good to understand the basics of driving before buying a sports car.
Same here. Learing to turn the heat down to very low is the answer to cooking brown rice. That doesn't take a college degree. Or a needless appliance. She asked for directions and was given excellent advice.

Tags
rice