"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I used to be terrible at cooking rice in a pot, almost bought a rice cooker. I watched good eats and Alton explained that you needed less water than the instructions called for, since then my rice has been perfect. I use electric, and the burner on low cooks perfectly, I can even simmer tomato sauce for hours without sticking or burning.

Brown rice, I sometimes buy the boil-in-bag uncle Ben's or Success, mainly because of my poor time management skills in the evening. More than once have I planned on brown rice only to realize I should have started it a 1/2 hour ago

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I used to be terrible at cooking rice in a pot, almost bought a rice cooker. I watched good eats and Alton explained that you needed less water than the instructions called for, since then my rice has been perfect. I use electric, and the burner on low cooks perfectly, I can even simmer tomato sauce for hours without sticking or burning.

Brown rice, I sometimes buy the boil-in-bag uncle Ben's or Success, mainly because of my poor time management skills in the evening. More than once have I planned on brown rice only to realize I should have started it a 1/2 hour ago :lol:
That's the main reason I like to have cooked rice in the freezer. It was also handy when I served potatoes with supper and found out that my friend doesn't eat potatoes. No problemo - 2 minutes later, she had brown rice to go with her supper.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
Sous Chef

i don't leave the rice steamer out opn the counter, tax lady. my 3 cup unit fits sweetly into a cabinet.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
i don't leave the rice steamer out opn the counter, tax lady. my 3 cup unit fits sweetly into a cabinet.
I don't have any spare space in any cabinets. I have two Ikea, Ivar shelves in my kitchen and I don't have any spare space on those. Definitely no spare counter space.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

With the ATK method of washing the rice under hot water until the water runs clear, you lose all the nutrients. "until the water runs clear" should tell you something. Sometimes ATK is more concerned with ease and quickness than with the loss of nutrition.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
With the ATK method of washing the rice under hot water until the water runs clear, you lose all the nutrients. "until the water runs clear" should tell you something. Sometimes ATK is more concerned with ease and quickness than with the loss of nutrition.
That only applies to enriched white rice to which nutrients have been added, not brown rice.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never cooked brown rice. But why wouldn't that apply to brown rice also. If you are washing it until the water runs clear, would there not still be a loss of nutrients? Does ATK advise only washing white and not brown rice before it is cooked?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #28
Wine Guy

Milled white rice often has nutrients added back to it. They put it in a big tumble dryer and add a powder containing vitamin B, iron, etc. You shouldn't wash this type of rice because, like you said, you'll wash off the nutrients.

It's fine to wash brown rice, though. All the nutrients are on the inside of the hull. I've even read that soaking brown rice can make it more nutritious, because it helps activate enzymes and essential amino acids. And of course it also helps cut down the cooking time a little.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Milled white rice often has nutrients added back to it. They put it in a big tumble dryer and add a powder containing vitamin B, iron, etc. You shouldn't wash this type of rice because, like you said, you'll wash off the nutrients.

It's fine to wash brown rice, though. All the nutrients are on the inside of the hull. I've even read that soaking brown rice can make it more nutritious, because it helps activate enzymes and essential amino acids. And of course it also helps cut down the cooking time a little.
Thank you.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you cut down on the amount of water if you soak the brown rice first?

Tags
rice